09/02/13 00:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tens of thousands of Tunisians have turned out to mark the passing of assassinated opposition leader Chokri Belaid.
The shooting of the secular politician has plunged the country into political chaos.
Thousands chanted anti-Islamist slogans as his coffin was mobbed by mourners.
Maitre Suhail Mdimegh, a friend of Chokri Belaid attended the funeral:
“By killing him, they have given him life, he has been reborn in the hearts of all Tunisians We’re all Chokri Belaïd”
Clashes erupted close to the Tunis cemetery as Police fired tear gas rounds at protesters who hurled stones and set cars alight.
His wife Basma spoke to euronews:
“Chokri Belaïd hasn’t died in vain, he sacrificed himself for his country, we have all sacrificed him for Tunisia, and we are not sad, on the contrary, we’re happy and proud because Tunisian people have risen for rights and freedom.”
euronews correspondent Jamel Ezzedini is in Tunis:
“A solemn funeral for the late Chokri Belaid, a mix sadness and anger. Those on the funeral procession denounced the return of repressive tactics and political killings in post revolutionary Tunisia. The angry crowd threatened to bring down, what they call the Muslim Brotherhood in Tunisia by force if necessary.”
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters