For over four decades Leon Panetta has been at the top of the American political tree. Now he has stepped down from his final job as US defence secretary.
In a formal ceremony the man whose career included that of lawmaker, top white official and spy chief was thanked by President Barack Obama who focussed on one particular achievement when Panetta headed the CIA.
“Your leadership of the CIA will forever be remembered for the blows that we struck to Al-Qaeda and perhaps the greatest intelligence success in American history delivering justice to Osama Bin Laden,” the president said.
It was two years ago that Panetta helped direct the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
While at the Pentagon he ended the ban on women serving in front-line combat roles and oversaw the integration of gays and lesbians serving openly in the military.
But for the US public he will forever be linked with the death of bin Laden.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Blast rocks Donetsk in east Ukraine, no deaths reported
- 14:05 CET Nigeria declared Ebola-free after containing virus
- 13:53 CET Ukraine, Russia gas deal may be just enough to get through winter
- 13:47 CET Thai rights body to probe torture claims over tourist murders
- 12:59 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 12:54 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 12:46 CET Bus accident kills 20 in Bangladesh, leaves 30 injured
- 12:08 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit