For over four decades Leon Panetta has been at the top of the American political tree. Now he has stepped down from his final job as US defence secretary.
In a formal ceremony the man whose career included that of lawmaker, top white official and spy chief was thanked by President Barack Obama who focussed on one particular achievement when Panetta headed the CIA.
“Your leadership of the CIA will forever be remembered for the blows that we struck to Al-Qaeda and perhaps the greatest intelligence success in American history delivering justice to Osama Bin Laden,” the president said.
It was two years ago that Panetta helped direct the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
While at the Pentagon he ended the ban on women serving in front-line combat roles and oversaw the integration of gays and lesbians serving openly in the military.
But for the US public he will forever be linked with the death of bin Laden.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 11:37 CET Iraqi forces battle Islamic State in towns north of Baghdad
- 11:28 CET Iran says nuclear deal ‘impossible’ by November 24 deadline – ISNA
- 10:35 CET Putin says Russia is not isolated: TASS
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election
- 07:33 CET China arrests man for spying on aircraft carrier base – CCTV
- 03:16 CET German couple found murdered in Caribbean island of Tobago
- 00:46 CET Poland’s ruling party wins most seats in regional elections