For over four decades Leon Panetta has been at the top of the American political tree. Now he has stepped down from his final job as US defence secretary.
In a formal ceremony the man whose career included that of lawmaker, top white official and spy chief was thanked by President Barack Obama who focussed on one particular achievement when Panetta headed the CIA.
“Your leadership of the CIA will forever be remembered for the blows that we struck to Al-Qaeda and perhaps the greatest intelligence success in American history delivering justice to Osama Bin Laden,” the president said.
It was two years ago that Panetta helped direct the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
While at the Pentagon he ended the ban on women serving in front-line combat roles and oversaw the integration of gays and lesbians serving openly in the military.
But for the US public he will forever be linked with the death of bin Laden.
- 1The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 4Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 5Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 01:23 CET Azerbaijan frees journalist whose case raised outcry in West
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…