A blizzard for the history books is how some forecasters are calling the snowstorm which is pummelling the Northeastern United States.
Five governors have declared states of emergency as around 350,000 homes and businesses lost electricity, roads were closed and thousands of flights disrupted.
New York’s three major airports shut down with stranded passengers at Laguardia being offered emergency bedding. Over four thousand flights were cancelled.
Winds gusted to 60 kilometres per hour driving the snow expected to reach up to 60 centimetres in some areas.
There is no let up with forecasters predicting the storm was just ramping up to full strength.
“And by the time the storm passes early Saturday afternoon we are expecting to have accumulations of ten to fourteen inches across the five boroughs based on the latest national weather service,” Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York told reporters.
People were warned to stay off the roads, advised to remain at home and to stock up on food and other supplies. The storm is raging along the New York to Boston corridor which is home to some 25 million people and for many the devastation of October’s hurricane Sandy is still fresh in their minds.
Meanwhile in Canada its reported a snowstorm driving across southern Ontario has left at least three people dead.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:54 CET Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- 18:25 CET Tunisian candidate Essebsi’s campaign claims election victory
- 18:03 CET Libya’s official government targets rival forces trying to seize…
- 17:47 CET Analysis – Economic issues whip up Israelis in chocolate pudding…
- 17:42 CET Two N.Y. police officers slain in apparent retribution attack
- 16:40 CET U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Iraq, three in Syria
- 16:18 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete
- 16:17 CET Four militants hanged in Pakistan as execution campaign widens