Mohammad Afzal Guru convicted for his part in the 2001 attack on India’s parliament has been executed.
A plea for mercy was refused by the president. Guru had been on death row since 2002.
India’s Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde confirmed the hanging. Some Kasmiri leaders warned it would fuel a Muslim separatist revolt.
In Indian Kashmir security has been boosted amid fears of violence and a curfew imposed in some areas. Since 1989 tens of thousands of people have been killed in the Himalayan region in action against Indian rule.
One local resident Imtiyaz Ahmad reacted to the news of the execution. “We heard early this morning that Afzal Guru has been hanged. What has happened is wrong. We were anticipating that the situation would improve but now we anticipate the situation might turn ugly,” he said.
The attack on the Indian parliament was one of the worst in the country’s post-independence history.
Five militants who India claimed were backed by Pakistan stormed the complex armed with guns, grenades and explosives.
They and ten others were killed. Guru was convicted of helping to organise arms for the attackers. Pakistan denied any involvement while Guru maintained his innocence.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 3All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 4Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 5Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
Sand sculptures stun beach-goers in Florida Keys
Monarch butterflies make annual migration to Mexico
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET World climate rallies put pressure on Paris summit to act
- 12:49 CET Turkey to help EU curb migration in exchange for cash, …
- 12:28 CET Three-way tie seen in Spain’s vote as Ciudadanos gains ground
- 11:16 CET Turkey preparing to hand over body of pilot to Russia – PM
- 10:54 CET Syria monitor – Russian air strikes kill at least 18 in northwest
- 10:31 CET Austria’s Faymann sees compromise in EU-Turkey talks – Kurier
- 08:42 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 07:19 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ – reports