Mohammad Afzal Guru convicted for his part in the 2001 attack on India’s parliament has been executed.
A plea for mercy was refused by the president. Guru had been on death row since 2002.
India’s Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde confirmed the hanging. Some Kasmiri leaders warned it would fuel a Muslim separatist revolt.
In Indian Kashmir security has been boosted amid fears of violence and a curfew imposed in some areas. Since 1989 tens of thousands of people have been killed in the Himalayan region in action against Indian rule.
One local resident Imtiyaz Ahmad reacted to the news of the execution. “We heard early this morning that Afzal Guru has been hanged. What has happened is wrong. We were anticipating that the situation would improve but now we anticipate the situation might turn ugly,” he said.
The attack on the Indian parliament was one of the worst in the country’s post-independence history.
Five militants who India claimed were backed by Pakistan stormed the complex armed with guns, grenades and explosives.
They and ten others were killed. Guru was convicted of helping to organise arms for the attackers. Pakistan denied any involvement while Guru maintained his innocence.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…