Mohammad Afzal Guru convicted for his part in the 2001 attack on India’s parliament has been executed.
A plea for mercy was refused by the president. Guru had been on death row since 2002.
India’s Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde confirmed the hanging. Some Kasmiri leaders warned it would fuel a Muslim separatist revolt.
In Indian Kashmir security has been boosted amid fears of violence and a curfew imposed in some areas. Since 1989 tens of thousands of people have been killed in the Himalayan region in action against Indian rule.
One local resident Imtiyaz Ahmad reacted to the news of the execution. “We heard early this morning that Afzal Guru has been hanged. What has happened is wrong. We were anticipating that the situation would improve but now we anticipate the situation might turn ugly,” he said.
The attack on the Indian parliament was one of the worst in the country’s post-independence history.
Five militants who India claimed were backed by Pakistan stormed the complex armed with guns, grenades and explosives.
They and ten others were killed. Guru was convicted of helping to organise arms for the attackers. Pakistan denied any involvement while Guru maintained his innocence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 13:52 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan