Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Vuelta: Sbaragli sprints to stage ten honours
Japan complete team double on final day of Judo World Championships
Vuelta: Dumoulin wins Stage 9 for overall lead as Froome finishes second
World Athletics Championships: final day round-up
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Wires > Sport
- 15:58 CET Southampton sign defender Van Dijk from Celtic
- 15:53 CET Iceland and Wales close to a place in Euro 2016
- 15:39 CET Real blame United for failed De Gea transfer
- 15:23 CET Crystal Palace’s Murray signs for Bournemouth
- 15:10 CET Los Angeles leaders expected to vote on whether to pursue Olympics
- 14:16 CET Sevilla defender Carrico out for eight weeks
- 13:55 CET Germany out to avenge Poland defeat, says Schweinsteiger
- 13:17 CET Hull City’s Jelavic joins West Ham on two-year contract