Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 08:31 CET History repeats for outgoing Stuttgart rescuer Stevens
- 03:48 CET Australia name strong squad for first World Cup qualifier
- 03:05 CET Record in sight for Europa League masters Sevilla
- 00:15 CET Montgomerie retains Senior PGA title by four shots
- 23:17 CET Manchester United decide against signing Falcao
- 22:58 CET Gerrard and Lampard bid farewell with goals
- 22:44 CET Berlusconi says still looking for an investor in AC Milan
- 22:23 CET Hull go down, Newcastle survive on final day of drama