Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:56 CET Australia chase down victory in Brisbane
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014