Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 14:29 CET Argentina’s search for elusive final key continues
- 14:17 CET Williamses renew rivalry as little sister eyes Serena Slam
- 13:21 CET Du Plessis leads South Africa to easy win in Bangladesh
- 12:59 CET Lauda dismisses talk of Mercedes supplying Red Bull
- 11:44 CET Ecclestone has more talks with Monza
- 08:18 CET Australia diminished after Harris forced to call it quits
- 06:59 CET Villa fires New York City to win over Montreal
- 06:01 CET Lost opportunity for Hurricanes but some positive signs