Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 4UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 5Marathon madness as athletes brave Brazilian rain forest
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 15:38 CET Younus leads Pakistan fightback with 25th century
- 14:53 CET Roma debacle against Bayern seen as a one-off
- 14:41 CET Australian endurance swimmer claims new distance record
- 14:28 CET No Ashton or Cipriani as Lancaster names England squad
- 14:25 CET Tour de France organisers unveil sparkling 2015 route
- 14:23 CET Sporting director Michael to leave McLaren F1 team
- 13:03 CET Embarrassed Williams suffers humbling defeat
- 12:45 CET IOC to discuss possible Kosovo Olympic recognition: spokesman