Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:09 CET Del Potro refuses to be downhearted after comeback loss
- 01:56 CET Venus and Wozniacki ease into third round in Miami
- 01:51 CET Australia confident Hazlewood will be fit for final
- 23:37 CET Brazil hand France first defeat since World Cup
- 23:23 CET Premier League to share billion pounds outside top flight
- 22:34 CET McDowell pulls out of Texas Open with Masters in mind
- 21:31 CET CSKA ask fans for emergency backing amid expulsion threat
- 21:28 CET Analysis – Mourinho has resuscitated Terry’s Chelsea career