Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1Paris 2024 unveil new Eiffel Tower-inspired Olympic bid logo
- 2Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
- 3Heavyweights hit the tatami at the Paris Judo Grand Slam
- 4Agbegnenou thrills the French on home tatami in judo’s Paris Grand Slam
- 5Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
Wires > Sport
- 10:17 CET Belgian Broos takes over as Cameroon national coach
- 09:34 CET Venus vanquishes Doi to claim inaugural Taiwan title
- 06:44 CET Nadal slips to Thiem loss, Almagro finally beats Ferrer
- 05:41 CET Fritz blitz helps American teenager set Memphis milestone
- 02:40 CET Watson injury further clouds Australia’s World T20 plans
- 00:06 CET Logano leads Team Penske 1-2 in Daytona practice
- 23:58 CET Rupp, Cragg win U.S. Olympic marathon trials
- 22:23 CET Hiddink delighted as Chelsea finally turn on the style