Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
- 1Mayweather and Pacquiao in Las Vegas ahead of Saturday’s multi-million dollar showdown
- 2Daniel Arnold scales Matterhorn in record time
- 3Belgian under-21 international Gregory Mertens fighting for his life after heart failure
- 4Robben ruled out of Bayern’s Champions League semi against Barca
- 5Bayern claim 25th Bundesliga title
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:54 CET Two late goals give Boca 2-0 derby win over River
- 04:40 CET Ma targets Rio gold after maiden world title
- 04:11 CET Real Madrid face another defensive barrier at Juventus
- 03:58 CET Olympic motivation strong for South Korea’s women
- 01:25 CET Analysis – Windies show promise in drawn England series
- 00:47 CET West Indies win third test to draw series 1-1
- 00:26 CET Welsh player dies after cardiac arrest at match
- 23:20 CET Analysis – Still an asterisk over Mayweather’s legacy