Two-time world champion Haruna Asami of Japan won the gold medal at the Judo Grand slam in Paris on Saturday after upsetting the home favourite Laetitia Payet in the under 48 kilo category.
Paris has proven happy hunting ground for Asami who won her second world championship title there in 2011 – her first came the year before in Tokyo.
In a closely fought contest in the French capital Asami needed the full five minutes to claim the top spot on the podium with a Waza-ari – the second highest score behind an ippon.
It was her fifth grand slam crown.
Naohisa Takato reigned supreme in the men’s under 60 kilo class.
The 19-year-old Japanese judoka was up against South Korean Jang Jin-min and just after the two-minute mark sealed the title at Bercy with an ippon.
It was a fitting end for Takato’s fourth grand slam title after arriving at the showpiece in Paris having scored an ippon in each of his previous elimination rounds.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 2Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 3Mountain bike: Polc wins Valparaiso downhill
- 4McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 5Fenninger turns up the heat with back-to-back wins in Bansko
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:07 CET CONMEBOL to back Blatter in FIFA election – source
- 23:05 CET Immobile double takes Dortmund past Dynamo in German Cup
- 22:40 CET England are not playing with fear, says Broad
- 22:10 CET Badminton lacks future ‘star’, says Indonesia’s Taufik
- 21:01 CET Barca’s Pique fined for abusing police over parking ticket
- 20:00 CET Referee East back in action after wrongful Brown dismissal
- 17:31 CET French lock Pape loses appeal against 10-week ban
- 17:19 CET UEFA to sell 46,000 Champions League final tickets to public