Beef infected with horsemeat has been taken off the supermarket shelves but the crisis remains on the European political agenda. In London on Saturday the British government held an emergency meeting to discuss the scandal determined it says to find answers.
It has emerged a French firm, Spanghero supplying horsemeat passed off as beef to British shops was at the centre of a major E.coli scare 20 months ago.
The bacteria can cause potentially fatal food poisoning. It is one of two French companies under investigation.
“Who is at fault? Who defrauded whom? In the light of this investigation and once we have the conclusions then we will have to take sanctions,” said Guillaume Garot of the French Ministry of Agriculture.
Comigel is the other French company under investigation. It supplied beef infected with horsemeat to several European countries.
“We don’t know where the horses have come from, or if they died naturally or of disease. We don’t know anything. They just put it in and expect everybody else to take it and eat it,” was one shopper’s reaction.
Romania has been identified as one source while in Poland a top veterinarian has said investigations in the country have ruled out claims from Ireland that it was the source of horsemeat found in Irish and British burgers.
Food giant Findus said they have received a letter from supplier Comigel saying the fraud could date back to August 2012.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 4Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 5Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:45 CET Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military…
- 09:15 CET At least 15 dead in Somalia hotel attack, militants say end siege
- 07:31 CET Japan is set to extend sanctions on North Korea – Nikkei
- 07:08 CET Crowds swell to bid farewell to Singapore’s founder Lee ahead of…
- 05:20 CET China’s Xi preaches peace in key note address
- 05:00 CET Delayed results show opposition conservatives win El Salvador vote
- 04:34 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 03:40 CET Two Saudi pilots eject over Red Sea, rescued with U.S. help: state…