Beef infected with horsemeat has been taken off the supermarket shelves but the crisis remains on the European political agenda. In London on Saturday the British government held an emergency meeting to discuss the scandal determined it says to find answers.
It has emerged a French firm, Spanghero supplying horsemeat passed off as beef to British shops was at the centre of a major E.coli scare 20 months ago.
The bacteria can cause potentially fatal food poisoning. It is one of two French companies under investigation.
“Who is at fault? Who defrauded whom? In the light of this investigation and once we have the conclusions then we will have to take sanctions,” said Guillaume Garot of the French Ministry of Agriculture.
Comigel is the other French company under investigation. It supplied beef infected with horsemeat to several European countries.
“We don’t know where the horses have come from, or if they died naturally or of disease. We don’t know anything. They just put it in and expect everybody else to take it and eat it,” was one shopper’s reaction.
Romania has been identified as one source while in Poland a top veterinarian has said investigations in the country have ruled out claims from Ireland that it was the source of horsemeat found in Irish and British burgers.
Food giant Findus said they have received a letter from supplier Comigel saying the fraud could date back to August 2012.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 06:03 CET Captain of stricken Korean ferry may not have been on bridge -…
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake