Beef infected with horsemeat has been taken off the supermarket shelves but the crisis remains on the European political agenda. In London on Saturday the British government held an emergency meeting to discuss the scandal determined it says to find answers.
It has emerged a French firm, Spanghero supplying horsemeat passed off as beef to British shops was at the centre of a major E.coli scare 20 months ago.
The bacteria can cause potentially fatal food poisoning. It is one of two French companies under investigation.
“Who is at fault? Who defrauded whom? In the light of this investigation and once we have the conclusions then we will have to take sanctions,” said Guillaume Garot of the French Ministry of Agriculture.
Comigel is the other French company under investigation. It supplied beef infected with horsemeat to several European countries.
“We don’t know where the horses have come from, or if they died naturally or of disease. We don’t know anything. They just put it in and expect everybody else to take it and eat it,” was one shopper’s reaction.
Romania has been identified as one source while in Poland a top veterinarian has said investigations in the country have ruled out claims from Ireland that it was the source of horsemeat found in Irish and British burgers.
Food giant Findus said they have received a letter from supplier Comigel saying the fraud could date back to August 2012.
- 1New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 2Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 3Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 4Migrant crisis: Afghan teenagers rescued from ‘prison cell on wheels’ in Austria
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Austria: Afghan teenagers rescued from van which had doors welded shut
Hungarian police block refugees and migrants outside Keleti train station
Refugees face legacy of hardship
Suspect arrested after Paris fire kills 8 people including 2 children
Bodrum to Kos latest drownings include children
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET Cameron backs down on government rules for EU referendum – BBC
- 18:43 CET Migrants shut Eurostar trains to UK
- 18:37 CET Suicide bomber, car bomb hit mosque in Yemeni capital – sources
- 18:35 CET Congo bans documentary about renowned rape trauma surgeon
- 18:27 CET Pakistan air strikes kill at least 31, as offensive continues
- 18:16 CET Car bomb kills 10 in coastal stronghold of Syria’s Assad
- 17:48 CET Insight – Ex-president’s backers in power struggle before Ivory…
- 17:28 CET Greek coast guard seizes Libya-bound ship carrying weapons