Beef infected with horsemeat has been taken off the supermarket shelves but the crisis remains on the European political agenda. In London on Saturday the British government held an emergency meeting to discuss the scandal determined it says to find answers.
It has emerged a French firm, Spanghero supplying horsemeat passed off as beef to British shops was at the centre of a major E.coli scare 20 months ago.
The bacteria can cause potentially fatal food poisoning. It is one of two French companies under investigation.
“Who is at fault? Who defrauded whom? In the light of this investigation and once we have the conclusions then we will have to take sanctions,” said Guillaume Garot of the French Ministry of Agriculture.
Comigel is the other French company under investigation. It supplied beef infected with horsemeat to several European countries.
“We don’t know where the horses have come from, or if they died naturally or of disease. We don’t know anything. They just put it in and expect everybody else to take it and eat it,” was one shopper’s reaction.
Romania has been identified as one source while in Poland a top veterinarian has said investigations in the country have ruled out claims from Ireland that it was the source of horsemeat found in Irish and British burgers.
Food giant Findus said they have received a letter from supplier Comigel saying the fraud could date back to August 2012.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 13:41 CET Syria says hopes new peace mediator will be fair
- 13:15 CET EU refers Italy to court over Milan airport state aid
- 11:42 CET Arab rifts may complicate search for Gaza truce
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate