09/02/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Beef infected with horsemeat has been taken off the supermarket shelves but the crisis remains on the European political agenda. In London on Saturday the British government held an emergency meeting to discuss the scandal determined it says to find answers.
It has emerged a French firm, Spanghero supplying horsemeat passed off as beef to British shops was at the centre of a major E.coli scare 20 months ago.
The bacteria can cause potentially fatal food poisoning. It is one of two French companies under investigation.
“Who is at fault? Who defrauded whom? In the light of this investigation and once we have the conclusions then we will have to take sanctions,” said Guillaume Garot of the French Ministry of Agriculture.
Comigel is the other French company under investigation. It supplied beef infected with horsemeat to several European countries.
“We don’t know where the horses have come from, or if they died naturally or of disease. We don’t know anything. They just put it in and expect everybody else to take it and eat it,” was one shopper’s reaction.
Romania has been identified as one source while in Poland a top veterinarian has said investigations in the country have ruled out claims from Ireland that it was the source of horsemeat found in Irish and British burgers.
Food giant Findus said they have received a letter from supplier Comigel saying the fraud could date back to August 2012.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 03:05 CET Venezuela opposition says local leader shot dead days before vote
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…
- 01:04 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military
- 22:42 CET U.S. using sex, money to infiltrate Iran, supreme leader says
- 21:50 CET Sarkozy battles far-right in French regional vote
- 21:33 CET Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead – army
- 21:33 CET Russia’s past and present collide at ceremony to honour former…