The German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced the resignation of her close ally, the Education Minister Annette Schavan.
The pair appeared together at a news conference in Berlin. Schavan has quit after being stripped of her doctorate over plagiarism accusations that she denies.
It comes days after the University of Dusseldorf found she had copied parts of her thesis more than 30 years ago.
Schavan says she does not accept the decision and is taking legal action.
“When a minister for research makes a complaint against a university, then it creates a lot of tensions, for my post, for the ministry, the government and the CDU party. And that’s what I want to avoid, that’s impossible, the position (of minister) should not be damaged,” Schavan said.
The case is an embarrassment for the Chancellor, less than eight months before a general election.
Part of Schavan’s role was to oversee universities. She castigated former Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg who also resigned over plagiarism allegations.
Lower Saxony’s Culture and Science minister Johanna Wanka has been named as her replacement.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police