09/02/13 17:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French and African forces have been patrolling the northern Malian town of Tessalit, the latest to be seized from Islamist control.
During the overnight assault on Friday French special forces parachuted into the town near the Algerian border, according to the military.
Elsewhere, Malian forces have been beefing up security in the area around Gao after two youths were arrested, apparently wearing explosives as they tried to enter the town riding donkeys. They are said to be an Arab and a Tuareg.
It comes a day after a suicide bomber blew himself up in Gao near a group of soldiers.
A Malian officer told the AFP news agency that the situation was “dangerous” just a few kilometres outside Gao. Several villages are said to be sympathetic to the Islamists’ cause.
After retaking the north’s main towns French troops, backed by soldiers from Chad, are reportedly moving into the mountains near the Algerian border where militants are thought to have fled.
The first 70 of 500 military instructors from the European Union have arrived in Mali to train the country’s army.
But there are many questions over the future role of Malian forces – and more suggestions that soldiers have been carrying out reprisals against Islamists or their sympathisers.
The bodies of two Arab men were found buried in a sand dune outside Timbuktu. They are thought to have been executed.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica