The centre-left are on course to win the Italian elections in two weeks time.
The last polls before a pre-election blackout showed Pier Luigi Bersani’s centre-left party in the lead with 34 percent of votes.
Former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has stormed up the polls to take second place. Comedian Beppe Grillo is a strong third and current Prime Minister Mario Monti’s party is lagging behind with 13 per cent.
The lead gives Bersani a majority in the lower house, but the battle for the Senate is less clear. Projections show that he may be forced into an coalition with Monti’s centrists. Commentators say this outcome would favour economic recovery.
Bersani and Monti have signalled their readiness to join such an alliance, with speculation that Monti would get a plum role in the new government. However, the race could get tighter in the next 14 days, as the number of undecided voters stands at around 30 per cent.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:33 CET Egyptian court acquits 17 charged for protest at which activist…
- 17:29 CET Irish voters back gay marriage in ‘social revolution’
- 17:27 CET Dozens killed in al Shabaab fighting in Somalia, attack in capital
- 16:22 CET Northern rebels say captured 19 Mali soldiers
- 16:00 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 15:05 CET Slovak PM launches re-election drive with tax cuts, wage hikes
- 14:54 CET Germany declines comment on reported ‘deep freeze’ with …
- 13:18 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults – PM Medvedev