The sound of samba permeates the air, as dancing fills the Sambodrome.
The annual carnival in Rio de Janeiro takes place over 5 days and has attracted around 900,000 tourists. This year marks the first time the number of Brazilian tourists matches the number of foreigners attending the event.
Celebrations were toned down elsewhere in Brazil following the recent nightclub fire tragedy in the southern city of Santa Maria which left 238 dead.
President Dilma Rousseff attended a mass on Thursday in memory of the victims. Hundreds of nightclubs remain closed in a crackdown on lax safety practices.
In the capital, the show must go on as the event is expected to generate 665 million dollars for the local economy.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president