08/02/13 12:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Preparations are underway for what has been described as a “potentially historic” snowstorm which is set to hit the north eastern states in the US.
Meteorologists have predicted around 60 centimetres of snow will fall in several areas with winds gusting to 100 kilometres per hour.
Panic buying has been reported in some shops in preparation for the storm which is set to rage through Friday night. The city of New York where memories of October’s hurricane Sandy are still fresh has been put on alert.
“It looks like everyone is aware the storm is coming. They’re stocking up with all the necessary supplies. Bread and milk seem to be the number one sellers right now,” said one shop manager.
Before the first snowflakes had even fallen airlines cancelled hundreds of flights across the region with disruptions set to ripple across the US.
Forecasters have said they believe the storm will be one for the record books.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Consternation at Austrian case of Nazi camp survivors called ‘a…
- 22:01 CET U.N. Security Council members push Russia to stop Aleppo bombing
- 21:58 CET U.S. says political crisis building in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 21:48 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina dropping White House bids
- 21:23 CET Congo opposition calls for general strike to make Kabila stand down
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…