Tunisia is facing one of its toughest days since the 2011 revolution as the political crisis deepens. Bloody protests which rocked the country since Wednesday are set to continue to mark the funeral of assassinated opposition politician Chokri Belaid.
In response to the murder, Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali called for the dissolution of parliament and the appointment of a technocrat government. However, all three ruling parties rejected the plan until new elections could be held.
The main trade union has called for a general strike, setting the stage for further confrontation. University lectures have been suspended over the weekend and many shops have closed in apprehension of continued violence.
If no agreement is found over a new technocrat government, analysts fear that the civil unrest will continue to a level that cannot be contained.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 13:52 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan