Thousands of mourners have turned out in Tunis for the funeral of the assassinated opposition politician Chokri Belaid, amid a general strike in protest at the murder.
His supporters chanted slogans attacking the Ennahda party they blame for Wednesday’s killing, and they vowed to continue the struggle against the ruling Islamists.
Tunisia is riven by tensions between Islamists and their secular opponents, and Belaid’s death has deepened the political chaos. No-one has claimed responsibility for the murder and Ennahda denies carrying it out.
The capital has been gripped by only the third national strike in the country’s history, called in protest at the killing.
Streets have been quiet, with banks, shops and offices closed in response to the unions’ call. Buses have been running normally but some flights have been suspended.
Some people, interviewed by Euronews in Tunis, said they were against the stoppage.
“This strike is going to worsen the economic problems of the country which is already in crisis. I don’t think in Europe, America or anywhere else in the world, that when a political leader dies people go on strike,” said one man.
“I’m against the strike because as you can see the town is a desert, that gives a chance for thieves, rioters and bandits to attack shops and rob people. Almost everyone has stayed at home, closed their doors and are holed up inside,” a young woman added.
Hundreds of anti-riot police have been deployed in Habib Bourguiba Avenue, a flashpoint for anti-government protests in Tunis, amid fears of more violence.
Prime Minister Hamdi Jebali has promised a non-partisan technocrat government but it has done little to defuse instability and tension.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:08 CET Two Swedes abducted in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 21:56 CET Nepal seeks help, death toll seen rising after devastating quake
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military