With just a year to go until the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin and the President of the International Olympic Committee held a ceremony at the Ice Palace in Sochi.
The Olympics are a priority for Putin, who hopes to show how far Russia has come since the collapse of the soviet Union in 1991.
But the preparations have been far from straight forward; many of the venues remain unfinished and there have been stories of corruption and construction delays.
As a result of this Putin sacked top Russian Olympic official, Akhmed Bilalov, after publicly ridiculing him in front of television cameras on Wednesday.
This is already set to be the most expensive games ever with the cost expected to reach around 37-billion euros, five times the original estimate.
There are also security concerns regarding a nearby Islamist insurgency, as well as worries about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.
- 1England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 2Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
- 3Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 4Thick haze in Singapore disrupts World Cup finals
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: South Africa down Scotland to move top
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2Champions League day two match preview
- 3Sagan makes history and gives Slovakia its first cycling World Champion
- 4Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales defeat hosts England 28-25 in thrilling clash
- 5Roma and Arsenal crash, Barcelona come back in latest Champions League clashes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Wires > Sport
- 18:21 CET Knives come out after England leave the party early
- 17:53 CET Merseyside derby ends in 1-1 draw
- 17:50 CET Advocaat steps down as Sunderland manager
- 17:47 CET Romania eye 2019 place as Canada test looms
- 17:34 CET Nibali wins Il Lombardia
- 17:33 CET Argentina tame Tonga to bring quarter-finals within sight
- 16:56 CET Irish credentials face first real test against Parisse’s Italy
- 16:44 CET Golden Horn and Dettori win Arc de Triomphe