With just a year to go until the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin and the President of the International Olympic Committee held a ceremony at the Ice Palace in Sochi.
The Olympics are a priority for Putin, who hopes to show how far Russia has come since the collapse of the soviet Union in 1991.
But the preparations have been far from straight forward; many of the venues remain unfinished and there have been stories of corruption and construction delays.
As a result of this Putin sacked top Russian Olympic official, Akhmed Bilalov, after publicly ridiculing him in front of television cameras on Wednesday.
This is already set to be the most expensive games ever with the cost expected to reach around 37-billion euros, five times the original estimate.
There are also security concerns regarding a nearby Islamist insurgency, as well as worries about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:10 CET Analysis – Premier League defences aren’t what they used to be
- 02:41 CET Keane’s book ‘unnecessary’, says ex-United captain Robson
- 00:27 CET Dortmund crush Galatasaray to maintain 100 percent record
- 00:25 CET Rodgers unimpressed by Balotelli’s shirt swap
- 00:12 CET Roberto denies Juve as Olympiakos hold on for win
- 00:08 CET Ludogorets make history with 1-0 win over Basel
- 23:56 CET Defenders sparkle as Leverkusen beat Zenit
- 23:51 CET Arsenal steal points in late Anderlecht raid