With just a year to go until the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin and the President of the International Olympic Committee held a ceremony at the Ice Palace in Sochi.
The Olympics are a priority for Putin, who hopes to show how far Russia has come since the collapse of the soviet Union in 1991.
But the preparations have been far from straight forward; many of the venues remain unfinished and there have been stories of corruption and construction delays.
As a result of this Putin sacked top Russian Olympic official, Akhmed Bilalov, after publicly ridiculing him in front of television cameras on Wednesday.
This is already set to be the most expensive games ever with the cost expected to reach around 37-billion euros, five times the original estimate.
There are also security concerns regarding a nearby Islamist insurgency, as well as worries about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 06:49 CET Australian amateur Murdaca books U.S. Masters berth
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 21:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 21:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 20:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon