With just a year to go until the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin and the President of the International Olympic Committee held a ceremony at the Ice Palace in Sochi.
The Olympics are a priority for Putin, who hopes to show how far Russia has come since the collapse of the soviet Union in 1991.
But the preparations have been far from straight forward; many of the venues remain unfinished and there have been stories of corruption and construction delays.
As a result of this Putin sacked top Russian Olympic official, Akhmed Bilalov, after publicly ridiculing him in front of television cameras on Wednesday.
This is already set to be the most expensive games ever with the cost expected to reach around 37-billion euros, five times the original estimate.
There are also security concerns regarding a nearby Islamist insurgency, as well as worries about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 20:04 CET Nocera would swap 14 tour wins for one British Open
- 19:35 CET Analysis – Can the spirit of the women’s game survive its growth…
- 18:49 CET Hamilton gets his hands on a proper trophy
- 17:45 CET Romanian official to quit over graft probe
- 17:35 CET Solheim Cup can boost German golf – Masson
- 17:31 CET Giro/Tour double career-changing – Contador
- 17:27 CET ‘Iceman’ Raikkonen is feeling the heat, says Massa
- 17:11 CET Bomb found at Red Star stadium ahead of game