With just a year to go until the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin and the President of the International Olympic Committee held a ceremony at the Ice Palace in Sochi.
The Olympics are a priority for Putin, who hopes to show how far Russia has come since the collapse of the soviet Union in 1991.
But the preparations have been far from straight forward; many of the venues remain unfinished and there have been stories of corruption and construction delays.
As a result of this Putin sacked top Russian Olympic official, Akhmed Bilalov, after publicly ridiculing him in front of television cameras on Wednesday.
This is already set to be the most expensive games ever with the cost expected to reach around 37-billion euros, five times the original estimate.
There are also security concerns regarding a nearby Islamist insurgency, as well as worries about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:22 CET Spurs and Scotland great Mackay dies aged 80
- 01:03 CET Australia were ‘nervous’ against New Zealand – Johnson
- 23:06 CET Harrington clears mental hurdle to return to winner’s circle
- 22:01 CET Sunderland’s Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with girl, 15,
- 21:57 CET Del Potro sees comeback by late March
- 21:02 CET Harrington ends seven-year wait with Honda victory
- 20:41 CET Peru name Argentine Gareca as new national team manager
- 20:04 CET Berger so close to remarkable rookie win