A suicide bomber has struck in Mali.
A Malian officer says the attacker approached
troops on a motorbike close to the northern town of Gao before detonating an explosive belt. One soldier was injured.
It’s thought to be the first incident of its kind since France began a counteroffensive last month, against an insurgency by Islamist militants.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Meanwhile fighting erupted west of the capital Bamako as a unit of paratroopers began a mutiny, angry at disciplinary measures being taken against some of its members.
Several groups have been staging protests, demanding to be sent to the frontline to join the offensive.
Many have been sidelined since last year’s military coup in the south while the insurgency was underway in the north.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:23 CET Chinese court jails Uighur scholar for life for separatism
- 04:20 CET Australia police kill ‘terror suspect’ after two officers stabbed
- 03:47 CET Central American countries offer plan to curb migration to U.S
- 03:41 CET Venezuela court gives long sentences to beauty queen’s killers
- 03:24 CET U.N. Security Council blacklists foreign fighters, recruiters
- 03:01 CET U.N. climate summit sets goals to save forests, use clean energy
- 02:38 CET Exclusive – With Suu Kyi blocked, her Myanmar party eyes…
- 02:17 CET Analysis – Obama forges anti-ISIL coalition, but will it hang…