A suicide bomber has struck in Mali.
A Malian officer says the attacker approached
troops on a motorbike close to the northern town of Gao before detonating an explosive belt. One soldier was injured.
It’s thought to be the first incident of its kind since France began a counteroffensive last month, against an insurgency by Islamist militants.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Meanwhile fighting erupted west of the capital Bamako as a unit of paratroopers began a mutiny, angry at disciplinary measures being taken against some of its members.
Several groups have been staging protests, demanding to be sent to the frontline to join the offensive.
Many have been sidelined since last year’s military coup in the south while the insurgency was underway in the north.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 04:54 CET Insight – In China food testing, safety inspectors are often one…
- 04:49 CET Bombs in Syria’s Aleppo kill 13 pro-Assad fighters – monitor
- 04:45 CET At least 24 dead in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 04:25 CET Colombia’s Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 04:12 CET Most Americans see unaccompanied immigrant kids as refugees – poll
- 03:20 CET No safe haven in China’s corruption crackdown: People’s Daily
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student