A suicide bomber has struck in Mali.
A Malian officer says the attacker approached
troops on a motorbike close to the northern town of Gao before detonating an explosive belt. One soldier was injured.
It’s thought to be the first incident of its kind since France began a counteroffensive last month, against an insurgency by Islamist militants.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Meanwhile fighting erupted west of the capital Bamako as a unit of paratroopers began a mutiny, angry at disciplinary measures being taken against some of its members.
Several groups have been staging protests, demanding to be sent to the frontline to join the offensive.
Many have been sidelined since last year’s military coup in the south while the insurgency was underway in the north.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Mandela memorial ‘fake’ sign language interpreter defends himself
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5North Korea calls executed Jang Song-thaek “despicable human scum worse than a dog”
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 10:57 CET Greek police investigate arson attack at former PM’s seaside house
- 10:23 CET Irish government faces post-bailout battle to woo back voters
- 10:16 CET Asian nations urge peace in sea disputes, unlikely to blame China
- 09:56 CET Sicily police arrest family of top Mafia boss
- 09:54 CET Iran frees Slovak paragliders held in spy row
- 09:27 CET Four killed in Bangladesh clashes after Islamist leader executed
- 09:00 CET Ghost of Indonesia’s Suharto gives life to his old political party
- 06:14 CET China must befriend Tibet monks to build ‘impenetrable defence‘…