A suicide bomber has struck in Mali.
A Malian officer says the attacker approached
troops on a motorbike close to the northern town of Gao before detonating an explosive belt. One soldier was injured.
It’s thought to be the first incident of its kind since France began a counteroffensive last month, against an insurgency by Islamist militants.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Meanwhile fighting erupted west of the capital Bamako as a unit of paratroopers began a mutiny, angry at disciplinary measures being taken against some of its members.
Several groups have been staging protests, demanding to be sent to the frontline to join the offensive.
Many have been sidelined since last year’s military coup in the south while the insurgency was underway in the north.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 10:02 CET U.S. urges Japan to be ‘bold’ in Pacific trade pact talks
- 09:54 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- 09:43 CET Pilots threaten more strikes as Lufthansa walkout continues
- 08:52 CET Fukushima film shows reality sinking in for ‘nuclear refugees’
- 08:13 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…
- 07:11 CET Exclusive – Iran offers ‘compromises’ in nuclear talks, West…
- 05:49 CET China likely to close ‘gift’ loophole in corruption fight
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California