08/02/13 11:52 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A collector says he has discovered the missing top half of Gustave Courbet’s famous painting ‘The Origin of the World’ which hangs in the Musee d’Orsay, Paris.
The painting on display shows a woman’s body as far up as her breasts, partially covered with sheets.
Apparently, according to the collector, whose name has not been disclosed, the portrait of the woman which formed the top half of the complete painting lay unrecognised for many years in an antique shop.
In 2010, the portrait was discovered and since then has been subjected to a series of tests to authenticate it.
Jean-Jacques Fernier, a top expert in Courbet’s work, has confirmed that the portrait belongs to the famous painter.
Originally, Courbet is thought to have painted ‘The Origin of the World’ as a single piece but later decided to cut it in half to protect the identity of his model. Experts say that model was Joanna Hiffernan, a muse to Courbet.
There are doubters however. Frederique Thomas-Martin, chief curator of the Courbet Museum in Ornans, the artist’s birthplace, told the newspaper Libération that she was not convinced the discovery was by Courbet.
She added that the official organisation of the museums of France has made no statement about the news.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Iran-Saudi row threatens any OPEC deal, puts role in question
- 11:56 CET Swedish court upholds Assange arrest warrant
- 11:53 CET Pilot Savchenko is on plane bound for Kiev from Russia
- 11:47 CET With social media, “we could have saved more lives”
- 11:40 CET Germany’s Merkel says not worried about EU-Turkey migrant deal
- 11:38 CET Swedish PM reshuffles cabinet, Green’s Lovin new deputy
- 11:35 CET Florence road collapses, burying cars and cutting water supply
- 11:26 CET EU is not the ‘sole option’ for Turkey, Ankara’s new EU affairs…