A collector says he has discovered the missing top half of Gustave Courbet’s famous painting ‘The Origin of the World’ which hangs in the Musee d’Orsay, Paris.
The painting on display shows a woman’s body as far up as her breasts, partially covered with sheets.
Apparently, according to the collector, whose name has not been disclosed, the portrait of the woman which formed the top half of the complete painting lay unrecognised for many years in an antique shop.
In 2010, the portrait was discovered and since then has been subjected to a series of tests to authenticate it.
Jean-Jacques Fernier, a top expert in Courbet’s work, has confirmed that the portrait belongs to the famous painter.
Originally, Courbet is thought to have painted ‘The Origin of the World’ as a single piece but later decided to cut it in half to protect the identity of his model. Experts say that model was Joanna Hiffernan, a muse to Courbet.
There are doubters however. Frederique Thomas-Martin, chief curator of the Courbet Museum in Ornans, the artist’s birthplace, told the newspaper Libération that she was not convinced the discovery was by Courbet.
She added that the official organisation of the museums of France has made no statement about the news.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker