A collector says he has discovered the missing top half of Gustave Courbet’s famous painting ‘The Origin of the World’ which hangs in the Musee d’Orsay, Paris.
The painting on display shows a woman’s body as far up as her breasts, partially covered with sheets.
Apparently, according to the collector, whose name has not been disclosed, the portrait of the woman which formed the top half of the complete painting lay unrecognised for many years in an antique shop.
In 2010, the portrait was discovered and since then has been subjected to a series of tests to authenticate it.
Jean-Jacques Fernier, a top expert in Courbet’s work, has confirmed that the portrait belongs to the famous painter.
Originally, Courbet is thought to have painted ‘The Origin of the World’ as a single piece but later decided to cut it in half to protect the identity of his model. Experts say that model was Joanna Hiffernan, a muse to Courbet.
There are doubters however. Frederique Thomas-Martin, chief curator of the Courbet Museum in Ornans, the artist’s birthplace, told the newspaper Libération that she was not convinced the discovery was by Courbet.
She added that the official organisation of the museums of France has made no statement about the news.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Blackout: Gaza’s only power plant destroyed by Israeli tank attack
- 4Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 18:42 CET Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- 18:25 CET Air France, Virgin among airlines avoiding Iraqi airspace
- 18:09 CET U.S. nuclear negotiator will not guarantee end to Iran extensions
- 17:31 CET U.S.-Iran nuclear negotiator ‘concerned’ about detention of…
- 16:22 CET Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- 16:15 CET Suspect in Jewish Museum attack extradited to Belgium
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police
- 15:38 CET Ex-Catalan chief Pujol stripped of titles in Spain tax scandal