08/02/13 11:52 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A collector says he has discovered the missing top half of Gustave Courbet’s famous painting ‘The Origin of the World’ which hangs in the Musee d’Orsay, Paris.
The painting on display shows a woman’s body as far up as her breasts, partially covered with sheets.
Apparently, according to the collector, whose name has not been disclosed, the portrait of the woman which formed the top half of the complete painting lay unrecognised for many years in an antique shop.
In 2010, the portrait was discovered and since then has been subjected to a series of tests to authenticate it.
Jean-Jacques Fernier, a top expert in Courbet’s work, has confirmed that the portrait belongs to the famous painter.
Originally, Courbet is thought to have painted ‘The Origin of the World’ as a single piece but later decided to cut it in half to protect the identity of his model. Experts say that model was Joanna Hiffernan, a muse to Courbet.
There are doubters however. Frederique Thomas-Martin, chief curator of the Courbet Museum in Ornans, the artist’s birthplace, told the newspaper Libération that she was not convinced the discovery was by Courbet.
She added that the official organisation of the museums of France has made no statement about the news.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 5How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
COP21: The Heat is On, Leaders Due Monday, Protests Banned
Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
Nigeria: Suicide attack on Shi’ite pilgrims ‘kills 21’
Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
Wires > News
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…
- 19:36 CET Ringleader of Paris attacks planned more strikes, mocked open…
- 19:09 CET Refugee crisis resurrects German anti-immigration party
- 19:02 CET Carbon prices – work in progress, not panacea, for rich and poor
- 18:55 CET Burundi’s top opposition leader Rwasa says fears for his life
- 18:54 CET EU, Turkey driving hard bargain before migration summit
- 18:50 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 18:39 CET Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist’s…