A collector says he has discovered the missing top half of Gustave Courbet’s famous painting ‘The Origin of the World’ which hangs in the Musee d’Orsay, Paris.
The painting on display shows a woman’s body as far up as her breasts, partially covered with sheets.
Apparently, according to the collector, whose name has not been disclosed, the portrait of the woman which formed the top half of the complete painting lay unrecognised for many years in an antique shop.
In 2010, the portrait was discovered and since then has been subjected to a series of tests to authenticate it.
Jean-Jacques Fernier, a top expert in Courbet’s work, has confirmed that the portrait belongs to the famous painter.
Originally, Courbet is thought to have painted ‘The Origin of the World’ as a single piece but later decided to cut it in half to protect the identity of his model. Experts say that model was Joanna Hiffernan, a muse to Courbet.
There are doubters however. Frederique Thomas-Martin, chief curator of the Courbet Museum in Ornans, the artist’s birthplace, told the newspaper Libération that she was not convinced the discovery was by Courbet.
She added that the official organisation of the museums of France has made no statement about the news.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 01:46 CET Brazil’s Rousseff widens lead over Silva in fresh polls
- 01:08 CET In al Qaeda attack, lines between Pakistan military, militants blur
- 00:38 CET First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States – CDC
- 23:23 CET Avalanche in southern Chile kills Canadian, Swedish climbers
- 23:21 CET Indonesia’s Widodo manages hopes as hostile parliament convenes
- 23:06 CET U.S. warns South Sudan: Strike a peace deal or face U.N. sanctions
- 22:27 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote
- 22:26 CET Task force delays aircraft tracking plans promised after MH370…