At least one person has been killed and several wounded in apparent clashes between factions within Mali’s military.
Some reports suggest government soldiers stormed
a camp in the capital Bamako where paratroopers loyal to the country’s deposed president Amadou Toumani Toure are based.
Other reports suggest the families of the paratroopers were caught up in the gunfire.
The “red beret” paratroopers apparently say they’ve been sidelined in the counter-offensive against an Islamist insurgency in northern Mali. Other reports suggest they’ve refused to go to the frontline.
Local resident Noel Dougnon said: “There were two women hurt. The people in the neighbourhood found out what was going on, and they (soldiers) started shooting at everyone.”
The fighting has exposed ongoing divisions within Mali’s army following last April’s military coup.
Also on Friday, a suicide bomber blew himself up near Gao, the most populous town in the north.
One soldier was injured after the attacker approached troops on a motorbike and detonated an explosive belt.
It was the first suicide bombing since France intervened last month and an offshoot of al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.