At least one person has been killed and several wounded in apparent clashes between factions within Mali’s military.
Some reports suggest government soldiers stormed
a camp in the capital Bamako where paratroopers loyal to the country’s deposed president Amadou Toumani Toure are based.
Other reports suggest the families of the paratroopers were caught up in the gunfire.
The “red beret” paratroopers apparently say they’ve been sidelined in the counter-offensive against an Islamist insurgency in northern Mali. Other reports suggest they’ve refused to go to the frontline.
Local resident Noel Dougnon said: “There were two women hurt. The people in the neighbourhood found out what was going on, and they (soldiers) started shooting at everyone.”
The fighting has exposed ongoing divisions within Mali’s army following last April’s military coup.
Also on Friday, a suicide bomber blew himself up near Gao, the most populous town in the north.
One soldier was injured after the attacker approached troops on a motorbike and detonated an explosive belt.
It was the first suicide bombing since France intervened last month and an offshoot of al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility.
The attack comes as France seeks to handover to United Nations peacekeepers
Gao, along with Timbuktu and Kidal, has recently been recaptured from the Islamists but forces have come up again increasing resistance in recent days.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives