08/02/13 11:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The murder of three people in California has led to a major manhunt. An ex-Los Angeles police officer is suspected of going on a killing spree in revenge for being sacked from the force.
One of those who was shot was an on-duty police officer, two of his colleagues were wounded.
The suspect is Christopher Dorner who posted his intentions in what was described as a rambling Internet manifesto.
“We have a number of additional police officers coming from throughout the county. Our state and federal partners are with us as well and we have deputy sheriffs from other stations in the county up here providing additional patrols to the citizens of this community,” explained John McMahon, Sheriff of San Bernardino County.
At one time the hunt for Dorner had three states on alert before his burned-out pick up truck was found in mountains about 120 kilometres east of Los Angeles.
Schools in the area were put on lockdown as the search intensified with a SWAT team deployed to provide security in the area.
It’s believed Dorner, who was fired from the LAPD five years ago for making false statements is heavily armed.
- 1Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 15:45 CET French union leads anti-reform protests, warns of Euro soccer cup…
- 15:27 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 15:13 CET Poland’s rule of law dispute keeps some investors away – deputy PM
- 15:10 CET Military push, economic hardship fuel insurgency in Nigeria’s Delta
- 15:05 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 14:25 CET No masking Trump’s popularity at Chinese Partytime Factory