European Union leaders are poised to reach an agreement on spending plans for the next seven years.
It is reported that the figure for the bloc’s budget will be set at 960 billion euros.
If the deal is agreed it will be seen by some as a victory for British Prime Minister David Cameron who had called for cuts. It is the first time in the EU’s history the budget will have been slashed and comes after a series of meetings and gruelling talks between the leaders.
“The past weeks have been productive and I am confident that around this table we can now settle on a final compromise. We simply have to,” said Herman Van Rompuy, European Council President.
It’s believed German Chancellor Angela Merkel backed David Cameron. A reduction in the EU’s administrative budget is understood to be on the table.
But any deal could still be blocked by MEPs. The speaker of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz has threatened to veto any cuts in the size of the budget.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:14 CET Italy arrests doctors suspected of taking bribes to discourage…
- 16:47 CET Western leaders step away from nuclear talks with Iran as deadline…
- 16:45 CET U.S. House Republicans sue over Obama’s healthcare law
- 16:42 CET Zimbabwe calls South African report on its 2002 election ‘rubbish’
- 16:40 CET Fugitive Ukraine tycoon wins, then loses, Serbian citizenship
- 16:28 CET U.S. Biden voices support for Ukraine, denounces Russia’s Putin
- 16:27 CET Sudan asks U.N. mission in Darfur to prepare to leave
- 16:16 CET Obama to visit India in January for constitution ceremony, meet…