Russia’s Gazprom is planning 3.5 billion euros worth of price cuts for its European customers this year
The world’s top gas producer is responding to falling demand due to Europe’s economic slump, energy efficiency drives and competition from liquefied natural gas, especially in its main market, Germany.
As a result it is amending long-term contracts with some European clients.
The state-controlled energy firm also vowed to make good on dividend promises despite the hit to its cash flow from the price cuts.
Gazprom’s declining cash flows have called into question its ability to boost dividends while funding vast investment projects, including plans to expand its pipeline export routes that will cost tens of billions of dollars.
Industry analysts say price concessions to the likes of Polish gas monopoly PGNiG, may help Gazprom rebuild its share of the European market, and meet its goal of raising gas exports to Europe by 10 percent this year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 12:34 CET British retail investors pour $3 billion into equity funds…
- 12:32 CET HSBC says to rebrand British retail arm ‘HSBC UK’
- 11:59 CET Syngenta to sell vegetable seeds, buy back shares
- 11:49 CET UK growth set to slow after services sector gauge hits two-year low
- 11:46 CET Venezuela’s Maduro tells Putin he has ideas on stabilising oil…
- 11:29 CET UK bank lending to small firms improves in second quarter – Bo…
- 11:04 CET FTSE gets lift from airline profits, merger hopes
- 10:08 CET Ex-BlueBay fund managers Phillips, Fayman to launch hedge fund in…