08/02/13 19:00 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
President of the world anti-doping agency John Fahey was “alarmed but not surprised” at Thursday’s shocking government report which revealed “widespread” doping among professional and amateur athletes across several sports codes in Australia.
Fahey – a former state premier of New South Wales – blamed organised crime for the scandal.
He said: “The providers and suppliers of the illegal drugs, the performance enhancing drugs and even those involved in match fixing, that underworld is one and the same. They are connected to all three. I guess I was naive enough to think, ah yes, that’s Asia, that’s Europe, today now I know it’s Australia.
The report – which has sent shockwaves through the country – was the result of a year-long investigation by Australia’s top criminal intelligence unit.
The report has prompted several governing bodies to launch their own probes into their sports.
- 1Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
- 2Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
- 3Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
- 4Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
- 5Golden State Warriors save match point in Western Conference final
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 4European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 5The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
[LIVE BLOG] Champions League final: Real vs Atlético
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Wires > Sport
- 19:47 CET Verstappen hits a learning curve in Monaco
- 19:20 CET Messi’s pain eases, recovery time unclear – Argentina doctor
- 19:01 CET Misfortune is now the norm, says glum Hamilton
- 18:48 CET Older and wiser Colsaerts seeks to recapture past glories
- 18:46 CET Saracens hold off Exeter fightback to complete double
- 18:35 CET Russia says eight athletes positive in London 2012 re-tests
- 17:49 CET WHO rejects call for Olympics to be moved due to Zika
- 17:38 CET Want more spotlight? Get better, Bacsinszky tells women