President of the world anti-doping agency John Fahey was “alarmed but not surprised” at Thursday’s shocking government report which revealed “widespread” doping among professional and amateur athletes across several sports codes in Australia.
Fahey – a former state premier of New South Wales – blamed organised crime for the scandal.
He said: “The providers and suppliers of the illegal drugs, the performance enhancing drugs and even those involved in match fixing, that underworld is one and the same. They are connected to all three. I guess I was naive enough to think, ah yes, that’s Asia, that’s Europe, today now I know it’s Australia.
The report – which has sent shockwaves through the country – was the result of a year-long investigation by Australia’s top criminal intelligence unit.
The report has prompted several governing bodies to launch their own probes into their sports.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
Wires > Sport
- 17:57 CET Ajax sign Polish hotshot Milik on permanent deal
- 17:28 CET Brazil World Cup grounds up for sale following cash flow problems
- 16:04 CET Analysis – Platini vindicated by expanded European Championship
- 15:43 CET Snubbed Kamal quits as ICC president
- 14:38 CET Bayern’s Alaba out for seven weeks
- 13:41 CET Hummels says made no promise to United’s Van Gaal
- 13:37 CET Bremen forward Selke to join ambitious Leipzig
- 13:14 CET Georgia, Poland face disciplinary action after qualifiers