President of the world anti-doping agency John Fahey was “alarmed but not surprised” at Thursday’s shocking government report which revealed “widespread” doping among professional and amateur athletes across several sports codes in Australia.
Fahey – a former state premier of New South Wales – blamed organised crime for the scandal.
He said: “The providers and suppliers of the illegal drugs, the performance enhancing drugs and even those involved in match fixing, that underworld is one and the same. They are connected to all three. I guess I was naive enough to think, ah yes, that’s Asia, that’s Europe, today now I know it’s Australia.
The report – which has sent shockwaves through the country – was the result of a year-long investigation by Australia’s top criminal intelligence unit.
The report has prompted several governing bodies to launch their own probes into their sports.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 01:13 CET Aguero praises Chile trio ahead of Copa final
- 00:41 CET Astana plunged into controversy again over Boom
- 23:30 CET McCullum hits second-highest T20 score of all time
- 23:14 CET Chelsea sign Falcao on one-year loan
- 23:06 CET Once an idol, now an enemy; Watson eyes Serena and rivals
- 23:04 CET Spanish federation fires Davis Cup captain Gala Leon
- 22:41 CET Union slams FIFA and demands player involvement in reforms
- 22:02 CET Chile must be perfect to beat Argentina, defender says