President of the world anti-doping agency John Fahey was “alarmed but not surprised” at Thursday’s shocking government report which revealed “widespread” doping among professional and amateur athletes across several sports codes in Australia.
Fahey – a former state premier of New South Wales – blamed organised crime for the scandal.
He said: “The providers and suppliers of the illegal drugs, the performance enhancing drugs and even those involved in match fixing, that underworld is one and the same. They are connected to all three. I guess I was naive enough to think, ah yes, that’s Asia, that’s Europe, today now I know it’s Australia.
The report – which has sent shockwaves through the country – was the result of a year-long investigation by Australia’s top criminal intelligence unit.
The report has prompted several governing bodies to launch their own probes into their sports.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Vuelta: Sbaragli sprints to stage ten honours
Japan complete team double on final day of Judo World Championships
Vuelta: Dumoulin wins Stage 9 for overall lead as Froome finishes second
World Athletics Championships: final day round-up
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Wires > Sport
- 13:55 CET Germany out to avenge Poland defeat, says Schweinsteiger
- 13:17 CET Hull City’s Jelavic joins West Ham on two-year contract
- 13:15 CET Germany’s Ozil nursing knee injury but should be fit
- 13:15 CET United hit the panic button with Martial signing
- 13:13 CET India clinch series despite Mathews heroics
- 13:11 CET Beijing says access to winter sports also a human right
- 12:49 CET Netherlands seek to delay Iceland fairy tale qualification
- 12:05 CET Rooney as clueless as Man United fans about Anthony Martial