EU leaders have agreed to cut the bloc’s spending for the first time in its history.
The headline figure of 960 billion euros is down by three percent from the last seven-year budget.
But member states have actually pledged less than that in payments.
Guy Verhofstadt, a former Belgian prime minister turned MEP and leader of the liberals in the European Parliament, said this budget would result in a 52 billion euro deficit.
“Heads of government say we must fix our public finances, pass a Stability pact (an EU rule on spending) and rein in our deficits,” he told euronews.
“But now we’ll have a deficit at the European level as a means of fixing their national problems.”
The largest parts of the budget remain agricultural and regional funds.
But EU officials say cash spent on farming will be gradually reduced over the seven year period to 28 percent of the total, from 39 percent now.
Ten billion euros will be shaved off future infrastructure projects, while the EU administration will be asked to find 1.5 billion euros of savings.
Six billion euros has been set aside to help countries where youth unemployment is more than 25 percent.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video