08/02/13 18:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
European leaders have reached agreement on the first ever cut to the EU’s budget in its 56 year history.
Brussels will work to a ceiling of 960 billion euros between 2014 and 2020.
The deal will see a real term cut of around 3 percent.
European Council President Herman Van Rompuy told a press conference: “This is a budget of moderation. We simply could not ignore the extremely difficult economic realities across Europe. So it had to be a leaner budget. For the first time ever, there is a real cut compared to the last multi-annual financial framework.”
Negotiators spent the previous 24 hours of the EU leaders’ summit haggling over which areas of the budget could be trimmed.
In total, around 34 billion euros in both commitments and payments will be cut.
The deal must now be approved by the European Parliament which is likely to take several months and is far from guaranteed.
The EU calculates two budget numbers. As well as the ‘commitments’ figure of 960 billion euros, a lower ‘payments’ figure’ of 908 billion euros indicates what will actually be spent.
The payments figure was low enough to convince Britain, which focuses on payments rather than
commitments, that it was getting a satisfactory deal.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Syria: UN warns of seige and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Zuma’s legal battle latest stumble in error-filled second term
New Hampshire: Trump tipped to triumph, but everything still to play for
Spain: Princess Cristina and her husband in court, as defendants testify in fraud case
Wires > News
- 21:05 CET U.S. could limit collection of items left at Vietnam War memorial
- 20:51 CET North Korean shipping firm skirts U.N. sanctions, gets port access
- 20:48 CET EU executive to push Greece, Italy more on migration
- 20:45 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 20:39 CET Turkey summons U.S. envoy over comments on Kurdish PYD in Syria
- 20:19 CET Poland, courting NATO, plans to boost Middle East military…
- 20:02 CET Insurgents Trump and Sanders seek lift at New Hampshire primary
- 19:06 CET Exclusive – Damascus vows to recapture Aleppo from rebels