European leaders have reached agreement on the first ever cut to the EU’s budget in its 56 year history.
Brussels will work to a ceiling of 960 billion euros between 2014 and 2020.
The deal will see a real term cut of around 3 percent.
European Council President Herman Van Rompuy told a press conference: “This is a budget of moderation. We simply could not ignore the extremely difficult economic realities across Europe. So it had to be a leaner budget. For the first time ever, there is a real cut compared to the last multi-annual financial framework.”
Negotiators spent the previous 24 hours of the EU leaders’ summit haggling over which areas of the budget could be trimmed.
In total, around 34 billion euros in both commitments and payments will be cut.
The deal must now be approved by the European Parliament which is likely to take several months and is far from guaranteed.
The EU calculates two budget numbers. As well as the ‘commitments’ figure of 960 billion euros, a lower ‘payments’ figure’ of 908 billion euros indicates what will actually be spent.
The payments figure was low enough to convince Britain, which focuses on payments rather than
commitments, that it was getting a satisfactory deal.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…