It will be a close encounter of the asteroid kind. From outer space a celestial visitor about the size of an Olympic swimming pool is hurtling towards earth.
A group of amateur astronomers in Spain discovered the asteroid last year since when its path has been tracked.
The chunk of space rock known as 2012 DA14 is predicted to zoom by earth next Friday coming closest over the United States.
“The close approach of this object 2012 DA14 on February 15th is nothing to worry about. Its orbit is very well known, we know exactly where it’s going to go and it cannot hit the earth,” explained Donald Yeomans, Manager of the Near Earth Objects Office at NASA.
How close is close? Its calculated the spinning rock will be just over 17,000 miles from us, that is closer than any of the communication, television and weather satellites which fly about 5000 miles higher in the sky. But it begs the question what if?
It is spinning through the sky at about eight miles per hour. Scientists have worked out an object of the size of 2012 DA14 at that speed would strike the earth with a force similar to that of about 2.4 million tons of dynamite – enough to wipe out an area the size of San Francisco bay.
In 1908 an asteroid or comet exploded over Siberia. Eighty-million trees were levelled in that collision.
Watch the asteroid pass by live on euronews and euronews.com on February 15th at 20pm CET.
Regarder le passage de l’astéroïde en direct sur euronews et sur euronews.com vendredi 15 février à partir de 20h.
Live video for mobile from Ustream
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
Victims of Sara Netanyahu’s ‘abusive behaviour’ win 39,000 euros
France: two deadly crashes involving children in two days
Iran marks 37 years since the Islamic Revolution
Fresh figures suggest scale of humanitarian crisis in Syria
Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
Wires > News
- 13:39 CET U.S. tells allies campaign to defeat Islamic State must be…
- 13:39 CET Prison riot in northeast Mexico kills dozens – local media
- 13:36 CET Spain’s acting PM could ask EU for deficit target flexibility
- 13:34 CET Pro-government forces seize camp outside Yemen capital
- 13:06 CET Turkey-Israel talks to restore ties going well, no deal yet – …
- 12:53 CET NATO allies launch sea mission against people-smugglers
- 12:51 CET Latvia parliament approves PM Maris Kucinskis new government
- 12:13 CET Iran’s Rouhani calls for political unity before crucial votes – TV