It will be a close encounter of the asteroid kind. From outer space a celestial visitor about the size of an Olympic swimming pool is hurtling towards earth.
A group of amateur astronomers in Spain discovered the asteroid last year since when its path has been tracked.
The chunk of space rock known as 2012 DA14 is predicted to zoom by earth next Friday coming closest over the United States.
“The close approach of this object 2012 DA14 on February 15th is nothing to worry about. Its orbit is very well known, we know exactly where it’s going to go and it cannot hit the earth,” explained Donald Yeomans, Manager of the Near Earth Objects Office at NASA.
How close is close? Its calculated the spinning rock will be just over 17,000 miles from us, that is closer than any of the communication, television and weather satellites which fly about 5000 miles higher in the sky. But it begs the question what if?
It is spinning through the sky at about eight miles per hour. Scientists have worked out an object of the size of 2012 DA14 at that speed would strike the earth with a force similar to that of about 2.4 million tons of dynamite – enough to wipe out an area the size of San Francisco bay.
In 1908 an asteroid or comet exploded over Siberia. Eighty-million trees were levelled in that collision.
Watch the asteroid pass by live on euronews and euronews.com on February 15th at 20pm CET.
Regarder le passage de l’astéroïde en direct sur euronews et sur euronews.com vendredi 15 février à partir de 20h.
Live video for mobile from Ustream
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
Doping allegations involving 800 blood tests rock world of athletics
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777