Violence has marred the funeral of assassinated Tunisian opposition leader Chokri Belaid. The shooting of the secular politician has plunged the country deeper into political chaos.
Clashes erupted close to the Tunis cemetery as police fired tear gas at protesters who hurled stones and set cars alight.
The authorities said around 100 people were arrested.
As many as 50,000 turned out to mourn Belaid’s passing.
Since former dictator Ben-Ali was ousted from power in the first revolution of the Arab Spring, tensions between the Islamist government and its secular opponents have grown.
Chokri Belaid’s killing has sent shockwaves through the country, which hitherto had experienced a relatively peaceful transition to democracy.
Banks, factories and shops closed in Tunis and other cities in response to a strike called by unions to condemn the killing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 18:35 CET South Africa, Rwanda expel diplomats over attack on dissident…
- 18:21 CET Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 18:17 CET Conflicting accounts open U.S. Army general’s sex crimes trial
- 17:41 CET Insight – In Ukraine, nationalists gain influence — and scrutiny
- 17:30 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood terrorist group
- 17:27 CET U.S. Senate rejects a bid to overhaul how military handles sexual…
- 17:07 CET France hints at aero, nuclear deals during Xi visit
- 16:44 CET EU veteran Juncker wins centre-right backing for top Brussels job