Violence has marred the funeral of assassinated Tunisian opposition leader Chokri Belaid. The shooting of the secular politician has plunged the country deeper into political chaos.
Clashes erupted close to the Tunis cemetery as police fired tear gas at protesters who hurled stones and set cars alight.
The authorities said around 100 people were arrested.
As many as 50,000 turned out to mourn Belaid’s passing.
Since former dictator Ben-Ali was ousted from power in the first revolution of the Arab Spring, tensions between the Islamist government and its secular opponents have grown.
Chokri Belaid’s killing has sent shockwaves through the country, which hitherto had experienced a relatively peaceful transition to democracy.
Banks, factories and shops closed in Tunis and other cities in response to a strike called by unions to condemn the killing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers