The flow of refugees fleeing Syria has almost doubled since late last year, according to United Nations figures.
Each day, around 5,000 people seek safe haven in neighbouring countries including Iraq and Turkey.
Jordan is estimated to be hosting more than 175,000 people.
The UN expects the exodus to grow and fears the refugee issue could become a long-term problem for Syria’s neighbours.
“We are going to see entire villages probably coming over in the near future. People are giving up hope in certain parts of Daara and the woman I was just talking to was 95 years old. Who is 95 and decides to leave the country?” said Andrew Harper, the UNHCR representative to Jordan.
Some refugees who are picked up at the border have mobility issues, while others describe walking for several days to reach the crossing point.
Around 60,000 people are packed into Jordan’s
Zaatari camp and they’ve each got stories to tell
about their journey.
Refugee Abu Ali said: “It was very difficult to cross the border because of snipers. There were lots of them and we had to walk carefully.”
95-year-old Hamde al-Safadi from Daara said:
“I never wanted to leave, but soldiers came and burnt our houses. They also attacked us from the air.”
Most families have fled with just a few possessions. With little chance to go back, they’re now totally dependent on their host country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.