Wadjda is the first full-length feature film to be directed by a woman in Saudi Arabia.
It is about a 10-year old girl who wants a bicycle so she can race against a boy called Abdullah – except, of course, in Saudi Arabia girls aren’t allowed to ride bicycles any more than they are allowed to drive cars.
So Wadjda’s mother won’t let her daughter have a bicycle and the girl decides to raise the money to buy one herself.
The director, Haifaa al Mansour, admits that she gets death threats for her work and says that she had to spend much of the location shoot directing from inside a van.
The film however, was supported by Prince Waleed Bin Talal and his company Rotana, which allowed her to film within the traditionally conservative Kingdom.
The movie was premiered last year at Venice Film Festival and has won numerous awards. It is now on release in France.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 4Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video