07/02/13 11:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Opposition parties in Ukraine have blocked parliament in protest, paralysing the legislature since February 5.
They accuse the ruling Party of Regions of unfair proxy voting for absent colleagues, which is done via a button system.
The Party of Regions says any change to the system should be addressed with dialogue not protest.
“To solve this issue, let’s sit down, analyse the situation together with experts and make a decision,” said Oleksandr Yefremov of the Party of Regions.
Former boxing champion Vitaliy Klychko, who heads up the liberal “UDAR” party, disagrees:
“There is no will to solve this issue. They want to keep pushing all these buttons at the same time, like playing the piano,” Klychko said.
“UDAR” and other opposition groups say all members of parliament should show up to vote in person.
The deadlock shows how difficult it could be for President Victor Yanukovich and his Party of Regions to pass laws ahead of 2015 elections if a resolution is not found.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down