Opposition parties in Ukraine have blocked parliament in protest, paralysing the legislature since February 5.
They accuse the ruling Party of Regions of unfair proxy voting for absent colleagues, which is done via a button system.
The Party of Regions says any change to the system should be addressed with dialogue not protest.
“To solve this issue, let’s sit down, analyse the situation together with experts and make a decision,” said Oleksandr Yefremov of the Party of Regions.
Former boxing champion Vitaliy Klychko, who heads up the liberal “UDAR” party, disagrees:
“There is no will to solve this issue. They want to keep pushing all these buttons at the same time, like playing the piano,” Klychko said.
“UDAR” and other opposition groups say all members of parliament should show up to vote in person.
The deadlock shows how difficult it could be for President Victor Yanukovich and his Party of Regions to pass laws ahead of 2015 elections if a resolution is not found.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 04:42 CET Australian police defend involvement in Indonesia execution case
- 04:35 CET Two gunmen shot dead at Islam art show near Dallas
- 03:56 CET U.S. Justice Department to boost disclosure of cellphone tracking…
- 03:10 CET North Korea’s titular head of state to visit Moscow instead of Kim…
- 01:22 CET Earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea – USGS
- 23:24 CET Airliner diverted to UAE airbase after blast warning – news agency
- 23:02 CET Two men arrested by North Korea say they spied for South – CNN
- 23:00 CET Greece cites progress in talks with EU/IMF lenders, aims for May…