07/02/13 08:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It was all smiles as German Chancellor Angela Merkel watched a football friendly between her country and France with French President Francois Hollande – but will the mood be carried into Thursday’s EU summit?
The issue of cuts to the EU budget is dividing the two – with Hollande vowing to protect European spending and Merkel pushing for a bigger reduction.
At the previous summit in November, President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy suggested a budget of 973 billion euros, 25 billion less than the figure originally put forward – but there is a push for even more cuts from Germany, the Netherlands and the UK.
EU Parliament President Martin Schulz is against those who want more reductions.
“My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that’ll be overstretched. I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement,” Schulz told euronews.
Leading the charge for a smaller budget is British Prime Minister David Cameron.
It is believed he will push for the budget to be well below 960 billion – the very figure which could be floated as the next compromise at the Brussels summit.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…