Thousands of pro-firearm activists gathered in the US to voice their anger about tougher gun controls.
This time the rally was in Annapolis in Maryland.
The state’s Democratic governor, Martin O’Malley, wants to ban assault weapons and make residents get a licence before buying a gun.
One young woman asked the crowd:“What is this gun control legislation doing? Is it helping you? It’s not helping you. It’s not helping me. Who is it helping? It’s helping criminals.”
“This isn’t about safety, this isn’t about anything of the sort. It’s not about gun violence. This is a trial of the innocent people.” said another.
Demonstrators gathered outside the State House while legislators debated inside. Maryland will be the twelfth state to adopt the legislation if it is voted in.
Activists formed long lines around the building to sign up to testify at the hearing before a Senate committee.
Maryland is one of the states pushing for tougher gun laws in the aftermath of the killings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December in which 20 children and 6 teachers were shot dead.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe says: “The battle over stricter gun control is getting more intense. Fighting continues not only in the United States Congress, but also on the state level. And as the debate rages on, there are deadly shootings almost every single day.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 22:35 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 21:10 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17
- 20:31 CET Dutch ‘no’ on Ukraine pact would force rethink, minister says