Thousands of pro-firearm activists gathered in the US to voice their anger about tougher gun controls.
This time the rally was in Annapolis in Maryland.
The state’s Democratic governor, Martin O’Malley, wants to ban assault weapons and make residents get a licence before buying a gun.
One young woman asked the crowd:“What is this gun control legislation doing? Is it helping you? It’s not helping you. It’s not helping me. Who is it helping? It’s helping criminals.”
“This isn’t about safety, this isn’t about anything of the sort. It’s not about gun violence. This is a trial of the innocent people.” said another.
Demonstrators gathered outside the State House while legislators debated inside. Maryland will be the twelfth state to adopt the legislation if it is voted in.
Activists formed long lines around the building to sign up to testify at the hearing before a Senate committee.
Maryland is one of the states pushing for tougher gun laws in the aftermath of the killings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December in which 20 children and 6 teachers were shot dead.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe says: “The battle over stricter gun control is getting more intense. Fighting continues not only in the United States Congress, but also on the state level. And as the debate rages on, there are deadly shootings almost every single day.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 05:13 CET Taliban, Afghan figures talk ceasefire but fail to agree
- 04:59 CET Earthquake rattles New Zealand’s South Island – USGS
- 04:42 CET Australian police defend involvement in Indonesia execution case
- 04:35 CET Two gunmen shot dead at Islam art show near Dallas
- 03:56 CET U.S. Justice Department to boost disclosure of cellphone tracking…
- 03:10 CET North Korea’s titular head of state to visit Moscow instead of Kim…
- 01:22 CET Earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea – USGS
- 23:24 CET Airliner diverted to UAE airbase after blast warning – news agency