Thousands of pro-firearm activists gathered in the US to voice their anger about tougher gun controls.
This time the rally was in Annapolis in Maryland.
The state’s Democratic governor, Martin O’Malley, wants to ban assault weapons and make residents get a licence before buying a gun.
One young woman asked the crowd:“What is this gun control legislation doing? Is it helping you? It’s not helping you. It’s not helping me. Who is it helping? It’s helping criminals.”
“This isn’t about safety, this isn’t about anything of the sort. It’s not about gun violence. This is a trial of the innocent people.” said another.
Demonstrators gathered outside the State House while legislators debated inside. Maryland will be the twelfth state to adopt the legislation if it is voted in.
Activists formed long lines around the building to sign up to testify at the hearing before a Senate committee.
Maryland is one of the states pushing for tougher gun laws in the aftermath of the killings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December in which 20 children and 6 teachers were shot dead.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe says: “The battle over stricter gun control is getting more intense. Fighting continues not only in the United States Congress, but also on the state level. And as the debate rages on, there are deadly shootings almost every single day.”
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 04:23 CET Argentine court finds 15 guilty in Operation Condor conspiracy
- 03:07 CET Colombia’s ELN rebels free three kidnapped journalists
- 02:31 CET Global airport trade group opposes new checkpoints after attacks
- 02:19 CET Lebanese Hezbollah ministers, MPs could be hit by U.S. law – …
- 00:50 CET U.S. ‘concerned’ about Libyan-Americans on trial in UAE – official
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs