Thousands of pro-firearm activists gathered in the US to voice their anger about tougher gun controls.
This time the rally was in Annapolis in Maryland.
The state’s Democratic governor, Martin O’Malley, wants to ban assault weapons and make residents get a licence before buying a gun.
One young woman asked the crowd:“What is this gun control legislation doing? Is it helping you? It’s not helping you. It’s not helping me. Who is it helping? It’s helping criminals.”
“This isn’t about safety, this isn’t about anything of the sort. It’s not about gun violence. This is a trial of the innocent people.” said another.
Demonstrators gathered outside the State House while legislators debated inside. Maryland will be the twelfth state to adopt the legislation if it is voted in.
Activists formed long lines around the building to sign up to testify at the hearing before a Senate committee.
Maryland is one of the states pushing for tougher gun laws in the aftermath of the killings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December in which 20 children and 6 teachers were shot dead.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe says: “The battle over stricter gun control is getting more intense. Fighting continues not only in the United States Congress, but also on the state level. And as the debate rages on, there are deadly shootings almost every single day.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5Ukraine PM warns Russia may try to disrupt election
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 13:46 CET Protesters in Hong Kong to vote on government proposals
- 13:33 CET Tunisia forces kill six after standoff with militants outside Tunis
- 13:26 CET Chad says Nigeria deal with Boko Haram to free girls still on
- 13:13 CET Uruguay’s left in battle to retain presidency, and marijuana law
- 13:07 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika consolidates curbs on state intelligence…
- 12:59 CET Botswana votes in poll set to test ruling party dynasty
- 12:42 CET Japan could deploy minesweepers off South Korea in war with North…
- 12:40 CET Russia still has troops in Ukraine, NATO says