07/02/13 16:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fierce fighting has broken out in the Syrian capital Damascus.
Footage posted online by activists opposed to President Bashar al-Assad purportedly shows smoke pouring from a mosque in the Jobar district.
Opposition activists also uploaded video to the Internet showing what they say was government shelling in eastern parts of the city, held by rebels, on February 6 and 7.
Elsewhere, a car bomb killed 19 security officers.
The United Nations says around 700,000 Syrian refugees have fled abroad – almost a third of them to Lebanon.
In a new report titled “Misery Beyond the War Zone”, aid organisation Medicin Sans Frontiers (MSF) says the neighbouring country is unable to cope.
MSF says Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley refugee camps do not have the resources to provide adequate shelter and healthcare for everyone.
As the humanitarian crisis escalates, 70,000 more Syrians are awaiting processing to enter Lebanon.
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 22:13 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 22:11 CET EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday…