07/02/13 16:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fierce fighting has broken out in the Syrian capital Damascus.
Footage posted online by activists opposed to President Bashar al-Assad purportedly shows smoke pouring from a mosque in the Jobar district.
Opposition activists also uploaded video to the Internet showing what they say was government shelling in eastern parts of the city, held by rebels, on February 6 and 7.
Elsewhere, a car bomb killed 19 security officers.
The United Nations says around 700,000 Syrian refugees have fled abroad – almost a third of them to Lebanon.
In a new report titled “Misery Beyond the War Zone”, aid organisation Medicin Sans Frontiers (MSF) says the neighbouring country is unable to cope.
MSF says Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley refugee camps do not have the resources to provide adequate shelter and healthcare for everyone.
As the humanitarian crisis escalates, 70,000 more Syrians are awaiting processing to enter Lebanon.
Wires > News
- 14:15 CET Uganda to halt military, security ties with North Korea – South…
- 13:57 CET Nigerian president says ‘resolved’ to keep naira steady, supports…
- 13:46 CET U.S.-led coalition troops seen near front line in new Iraq…
- 13:35 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah appoints PM to oversee parliament elections…
- 13:27 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle
- 12:41 CET Nineteen people rescued from English Channel – coastguard
- 12:39 CET Germans would not want soccer star Boateng as neighbour…
- 12:28 CET Forces backed by Libya’s unity govt seek to encircle Islamic…