Fierce fighting has broken out in the Syrian capital Damascus.
Footage posted online by activists opposed to President Bashar al-Assad purportedly shows smoke pouring from a mosque in the Jobar district.
Opposition activists also uploaded video to the Internet showing what they say was government shelling in eastern parts of the city, held by rebels, on February 6 and 7.
Elsewhere, a car bomb killed 19 security officers.
The United Nations says around 700,000 Syrian refugees have fled abroad – almost a third of them to Lebanon.
In a new report titled “Misery Beyond the War Zone”, aid organisation Medicin Sans Frontiers (MSF) says the neighbouring country is unable to cope.
MSF says Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley refugee camps do not have the resources to provide adequate shelter and healthcare for everyone.
As the humanitarian crisis escalates, 70,000 more Syrians are awaiting processing to enter Lebanon.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 16:15 CET Kuwait says in “state of war” with militants, warns of other cells
- 15:45 CET Burundi counts votes as thousands flee political crisis
- 14:39 CET Hamas shuts offices of Gaza’s sole cellular operator
- 14:25 CET Myanmar students in peaceful march to protest political role of…
- 14:21 CET Dutch confident MH17 prosecution will eventually succeed
- 13:35 CET Iran and powers set to miss deadline as nuclear deal remains…
- 13:33 CET Hague mayor calls for calm after disturbances; 16 arrested
- 13:14 CET Tunisia sees Libya link to beach resort attacker – source