07/02/13 16:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fierce fighting has broken out in the Syrian capital Damascus.
Footage posted online by activists opposed to President Bashar al-Assad purportedly shows smoke pouring from a mosque in the Jobar district.
Opposition activists also uploaded video to the Internet showing what they say was government shelling in eastern parts of the city, held by rebels, on February 6 and 7.
Elsewhere, a car bomb killed 19 security officers.
The United Nations says around 700,000 Syrian refugees have fled abroad – almost a third of them to Lebanon.
In a new report titled “Misery Beyond the War Zone”, aid organisation Medicin Sans Frontiers (MSF) says the neighbouring country is unable to cope.
MSF says Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley refugee camps do not have the resources to provide adequate shelter and healthcare for everyone.
As the humanitarian crisis escalates, 70,000 more Syrians are awaiting processing to enter Lebanon.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…