07/02/13 15:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Last minute negotiations over the EU’s budget delayed the start of the two day leaders’ summit in Brussels on Thursday.
The first talks of the year between the 27 member states come after the failure to reach a deal last November over the bloc’s finances for the next seven years.
Northern European countries including Germany and the UK have demanded similar deep cuts in Brussels to those made at the national level.
France has held out for the budget to be more or less be maintained to allow investment that will help reverse high levels of unemployment.
Expenditure, originally projected at more than a trillion euros has been trimmed several times.
An Italian official says he expects a further 20 billion euros to be agreed before the meeting gets underway. That would bring payments down to around 900-905 billion euros.
Even if the budget is approved by leaders, it still has to be voted on by the European parliament. MEPs are likely to oppose any deep cuts.
If the deal is blocked, the current budget will be rolled over into 2014 and a new agreement may not be possible before late 2014.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4President Barack Obama sparks laughter with masterful speech in final White House Correspondents’ dinner
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down