07/02/13 15:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Last minute negotiations over the EU’s budget delayed the start of the two day leaders’ summit in Brussels on Thursday.
The first talks of the year between the 27 member states come after the failure to reach a deal last November over the bloc’s finances for the next seven years.
Northern European countries including Germany and the UK have demanded similar deep cuts in Brussels to those made at the national level.
France has held out for the budget to be more or less be maintained to allow investment that will help reverse high levels of unemployment.
Expenditure, originally projected at more than a trillion euros has been trimmed several times.
An Italian official says he expects a further 20 billion euros to be agreed before the meeting gets underway. That would bring payments down to around 900-905 billion euros.
Even if the budget is approved by leaders, it still has to be voted on by the European parliament. MEPs are likely to oppose any deep cuts.
If the deal is blocked, the current budget will be rolled over into 2014 and a new agreement may not be possible before late 2014.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…