Russia’s government has denied that two of its fighter jets breached Japanese airspace near Hokkaido.
However, Japan’s claim that Russia entered its airspace re-ignites a decades-long dispute between the two countries over islands that they both lay claim to.
The accusation came just hours after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he had “high hopes” of finally settling the row. He was speaking at an event to commemorate the Northern Territories on February 7.
Meanwhile, nationalist demonstrators gathered near the Russian embassy in Tokyo, shouting “Give us back our islands!”
Japan believes the disputed islands are part of their Northern Territories, but Russia calls them the Southern Kuril Islands.
They were occupied by Soviet forces at the end of World War II and became part of the USSR when the war ended.
Japan has always disputed the annexation, and the two countries are yet to sign a peace treaty – more than 65 years later.
- 1Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 2Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 3Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 4Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 5Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 14Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
Wires > News
- 02:07 CET Turkey strikes Kurdish militia in Syria, demands it withdraw
- 02:04 CET Ethnic rebels’ show of force highlights Suu Kyi’s peace challenge
- 01:55 CET U.S. Justice Scalia, conservative icon, dead at 79
- 01:10 CET Central Africans head to polls to vote for peace
- 23:50 CET Chad appoints new prime minister two months before election
- 23:08 CET A polarizing force, Haiti’s former soldiers return to streets
- 23:03 CET Uganda’s Yoweri Museveni defends record in presidential debate
- 23:02 CET Syrian army gains ground around Aleppo, looks to Raqqa