Russia’s government has denied that two of its fighter jets breached Japanese airspace near Hokkaido.
However, Japan’s claim that Russia entered its airspace re-ignites a decades-long dispute between the two countries over islands that they both lay claim to.
The accusation came just hours after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he had “high hopes” of finally settling the row. He was speaking at an event to commemorate the Northern Territories on February 7.
Meanwhile, nationalist demonstrators gathered near the Russian embassy in Tokyo, shouting “Give us back our islands!”
Japan believes the disputed islands are part of their Northern Territories, but Russia calls them the Southern Kuril Islands.
They were occupied by Soviet forces at the end of World War II and became part of the USSR when the war ended.
Japan has always disputed the annexation, and the two countries are yet to sign a peace treaty – more than 65 years later.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California
- 04:20 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 04:12 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- 03:23 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears