Russia’s government has denied that two of its fighter jets breached Japanese airspace near Hokkaido.
However, Japan’s claim that Russia entered its airspace re-ignites a decades-long dispute between the two countries over islands that they both lay claim to.
The accusation came just hours after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he had “high hopes” of finally settling the row. He was speaking at an event to commemorate the Northern Territories on February 7.
Meanwhile, nationalist demonstrators gathered near the Russian embassy in Tokyo, shouting “Give us back our islands!”
Japan believes the disputed islands are part of their Northern Territories, but Russia calls them the Southern Kuril Islands.
They were occupied by Soviet forces at the end of World War II and became part of the USSR when the war ended.
Japan has always disputed the annexation, and the two countries are yet to sign a peace treaty – more than 65 years later.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:08 CET MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given…
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms
- 22:13 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 22:04 CET Exclusive – Poor and besieged, Myanmar’s Rakhine join Rohingya…
- 21:40 CET Cameroon army says frees 16 hostages, including Polish priest
- 21:38 CET Ministers from coalition against Islamic State to meet December 3
- 21:23 CET Argentine presidential aspirant Massa says would cut back state…
- 21:04 CET Icelandic hacker says guilty of stealing money from Wikileaks