Russia’s government has denied that two of its fighter jets breached Japanese airspace near Hokkaido.
However, Japan’s claim that Russia entered its airspace re-ignites a decades-long dispute between the two countries over islands that they both lay claim to.
The accusation came just hours after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he had “high hopes” of finally settling the row. He was speaking at an event to commemorate the Northern Territories on February 7.
Meanwhile, nationalist demonstrators gathered near the Russian embassy in Tokyo, shouting “Give us back our islands!”
Japan believes the disputed islands are part of their Northern Territories, but Russia calls them the Southern Kuril Islands.
They were occupied by Soviet forces at the end of World War II and became part of the USSR when the war ended.
Japan has always disputed the annexation, and the two countries are yet to sign a peace treaty – more than 65 years later.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 3TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 4South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 5Funeral for teacher hailed a hero in South Korea ferry tragedy
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5South Korea recovers more dead from ferry
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
Wires > News
- 06:00 CET Japan PM makes offering to Yasukuni Shrine; China seizes ship
- 04:42 CET Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- 04:42 CET China seizure of ship could hurt Japan business – Japan spokesman
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…
- 21:55 CET Al Qaeda kills 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- 21:12 CET Boston Marathon looks to emerge from shadow of 2013 bombing
- 20:04 CET Technical problems delay reopening of Libya’s Zueitina oil port -…