Sochi is getting a face lift for the Winter Olympics in 2014. There’s a lot of construction going on around the subtropical resort city on the Black Sea.
The biggest building sites are for infrastructure. It really needed it because it stretches out for 40 km of coastline. The other major spots are where sport installations are going in.
The Fisht Olympic Stadium is where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held and the medals awarded. There’s still a lot of work to do on it.
Other emplacements are ready, like the Bolshoi Ice Palace for the hockey.
The Iceberg Skating Palace will be for the figure skating. The city will host all the events that are held indoors.
It won the Olympic bid in 2007 partly on the basis of being just 50 km from the Caucasus Mountains.
That’s where President Vladimir Putin went to inspect yesterday – where the outdoor events will happen. The government has spent lavishly on this, providing at least half the money needed.
The Sochi Games will be the most expensive in history so far, costing a projected 36 billion euros, because so much has had to be created from scratch. Vancouver 2010 cost 1.4 billion and Turin in 2006 3.4 billion.
Sochi’s budget has shot to 500 percent of what it meant to spend in the first place. That’s one of the reasons the president has been taking a personal interest.
He is playing this openly, to all appearances, according to a state broadcast conversation with his deputy, Dmitri Kozak…
Putin: “You’re more than two years behind.”
Putin: “Are costs rising?”
Kozak: “Yes, seriously.”
That’s just at the ski jump, which should have been finished two years ago. It’s cost eight times what they thought it would, bringing the price to 200 million euros. The number two man in the Russian Olympic Committee, Akhmed Bilalov, was sacked today.
At least the Sanki bobsleigh and luge run is ready. At more than 1,800 metres long, it has broken a world record.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 5FIFA ethics panel calls for sanctions against Blatter and Platini
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Wires > Sport
- 20:48 CET Vardy breaks record as Leicester draw with United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace
- 19:36 CET Mercedes seek guidance on partnership agreements
- 17:14 CET Fury in row over ring canvas for Klitschko fight
- 17:12 CET Vettel caught out as Ferrari get sums wrong
- 15:59 CET Liverpool FA Cup hero Byrne dies at 77
- 15:48 CET Faldo predicts new-look European Ryder Cup team
- 12:28 CET Kenya bans seven more athletes for doping