Sochi is getting a face lift for the Winter Olympics in 2014. There’s a lot of construction going on around the subtropical resort city on the Black Sea.
The biggest building sites are for infrastructure. It really needed it because it stretches out for 40 km of coastline. The other major spots are where sport installations are going in.
The Fisht Olympic Stadium is where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held and the medals awarded. There’s still a lot of work to do on it.
Other emplacements are ready, like the Bolshoi Ice Palace for the hockey.
The Iceberg Skating Palace will be for the figure skating. The city will host all the events that are held indoors.
It won the Olympic bid in 2007 partly on the basis of being just 50 km from the Caucasus Mountains.
That’s where President Vladimir Putin went to inspect yesterday – where the outdoor events will happen. The government has spent lavishly on this, providing at least half the money needed.
The Sochi Games will be the most expensive in history so far, costing a projected 36 billion euros, because so much has had to be created from scratch. Vancouver 2010 cost 1.4 billion and Turin in 2006 3.4 billion.
Sochi’s budget has shot to 500 percent of what it meant to spend in the first place. That’s one of the reasons the president has been taking a personal interest.
He is playing this openly, to all appearances, according to a state broadcast conversation with his deputy, Dmitri Kozak…
Putin: “You’re more than two years behind.”
Putin: “Are costs rising?”
Kozak: “Yes, seriously.”
That’s just at the ski jump, which should have been finished two years ago. It’s cost eight times what they thought it would, bringing the price to 200 million euros. The number two man in the Russian Olympic Committee, Akhmed Bilalov, was sacked today.
At least the Sanki bobsleigh and luge run is ready. At more than 1,800 metres long, it has broken a world record.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
- 5Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Sport
- 10:49 CET It’s not me that needs to change, Hamilton tells Dennis
- 09:48 CET Driverless series not sport, says Mercedes boss
- 09:08 CET Local Jones holds off Spieth, Scott to win Australian Open
- 07:18 CET Cricket-India’s Shastri flays pitch critics
- 05:21 CET Rum-fuelled Pampling on his way to Troon after course record
- 01:25 CET Briton Fury crowned world champion after beating Klitschko
- 22:29 CET Record for goal-king Vardy as Leicester hold United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace