Sochi is getting a face lift for the Winter Olympics in 2014. There’s a lot of construction going on around the subtropical resort city on the Black Sea.
The biggest building sites are for infrastructure. It really needed it because it stretches out for 40 km of coastline. The other major spots are where sport installations are going in.
The Fisht Olympic Stadium is where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held and the medals awarded. There’s still a lot of work to do on it.
Other emplacements are ready, like the Bolshoi Ice Palace for the hockey.
The Iceberg Skating Palace will be for the figure skating. The city will host all the events that are held indoors.
It won the Olympic bid in 2007 partly on the basis of being just 50 km from the Caucasus Mountains.
That’s where President Vladimir Putin went to inspect yesterday – where the outdoor events will happen. The government has spent lavishly on this, providing at least half the money needed.
The Sochi Games will be the most expensive in history so far, costing a projected 36 billion euros, because so much has had to be created from scratch. Vancouver 2010 cost 1.4 billion and Turin in 2006 3.4 billion.
Sochi’s budget has shot to 500 percent of what it meant to spend in the first place. That’s one of the reasons the president has been taking a personal interest.
He is playing this openly, to all appearances, according to a state broadcast conversation with his deputy, Dmitri Kozak…
Putin: “You’re more than two years behind.”
Putin: “Are costs rising?”
Kozak: “Yes, seriously.”
That’s just at the ski jump, which should have been finished two years ago. It’s cost eight times what they thought it would, bringing the price to 200 million euros. The number two man in the Russian Olympic Committee, Akhmed Bilalov, was sacked today.
At least the Sanki bobsleigh and luge run is ready. At more than 1,800 metres long, it has broken a world record.
- 1Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 2IOC must choose between clean-up and cover-up: SportAccord chief
- 3Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 4SportAccord president Marius Vizer slams IOC
- 5Bayern and Barcelona through to Champions League semi-finals
- 1Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 2Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 3IOC must choose between clean-up and cover-up: SportAccord chief
- 4Bayern and Barcelona through to Champions League semi-finals
- 5Champions League: Bayern face uphill task
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:18 CET Pakistan paceman Rahat ruled out of Bangladesh tests
- 14:04 CET Hernandez’s patience an example for others, says Ancelotti
- 13:27 CET Retailers make a killing ahead of Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight
- 13:13 CET Fellaini contemplated United exit after difficult season
- 12:48 CET Liverpool need ‘top-level striker’, says Rodgers
- 10:41 CET Vilanova memory lives on at Barca a year after his death
- 00:28 CET Brathwaite ton for Windies frustrates England
- 23:38 CET Holder Selby tumbles out of world championship