Three-way talks aimed at finding a solution to the Syria conflict have been held on the sidelines of a meeting of Muslim countries.
The leaders of Egypt, Turkey and Iran met at the
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation summit in Egypt on Thursday.
Tehran is adamant that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should be part of any transition process with the opposition, but Egypt and Turkey are vehemently opposed.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said: “We hope to reach a solution on Syria. Everyone is trying to achieve a halt in the violence; all of us including the opposition and the rest of the world. I hope that the four countries Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt and Iran will be able to reach at least a road map on this.”
Yemen’s foreign minister Abu Bakr al Kurbi backed a wider joint statement calling for peace talks without Assad and his inner circle:
“The ongoing violence in Syria will not only damage the country irreversibly. But it will also affect the Syria’s relationship with other countries,” al Kurbi said.
Despite an opposing position on Syria, a day earlier Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
attempted to rebuild relations with old foe Egypt. He called on Egyptian leader Mohamed Mursi to form a strategic alliance with Tehran.
On the first visit to Cairo by an Iranian leader in more than three decades, he said outside forces were stopping the two nations becoming allies.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status