Three-way talks aimed at finding a solution to the Syria conflict have been held on the sidelines of a meeting of Muslim countries.
The leaders of Egypt, Turkey and Iran met at the
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation summit in Egypt on Thursday.
Tehran is adamant that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should be part of any transition process with the opposition, but Egypt and Turkey are vehemently opposed.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said: “We hope to reach a solution on Syria. Everyone is trying to achieve a halt in the violence; all of us including the opposition and the rest of the world. I hope that the four countries Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt and Iran will be able to reach at least a road map on this.”
Yemen’s foreign minister Abu Bakr al Kurbi backed a wider joint statement calling for peace talks without Assad and his inner circle:
“The ongoing violence in Syria will not only damage the country irreversibly. But it will also affect the Syria’s relationship with other countries,” al Kurbi said.
Despite an opposing position on Syria, a day earlier Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
attempted to rebuild relations with old foe Egypt. He called on Egyptian leader Mohamed Mursi to form a strategic alliance with Tehran.
On the first visit to Cairo by an Iranian leader in more than three decades, he said outside forces were stopping the two nations becoming allies.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…