Instead of playing badminton with another human being imagine what it would be like playing against a robot. At the Flanders’ Mechatronics Technology Centre (FMTC) in Belgium. researchers have built a robot which can do just that – it plays badminton.
A vision system detects the shuttlecock from two visual angles, giving it stereo vision. Once it has estimated the position of the shuttlecock, the robot’s software predicts the trajectory. Then an interception system hits it at the right point along the predicted trajectory.
Wim Symens, Technical Director of Flanders’ Mechatronics Technology Centre in Leuven, Belgium, said: “We decided to build a badminton robot to demonstrate the new technologies we are developing. The reason we decided on a badminton robot is that we thought it would be a really convincing demonstrator; a real eye catcher. A badminton robot hasn’t existed before, it is the first one we are building now and everybody can play against the badminton robot.”
The robot can intercept the shuttlecock at speeds of over 400 km per hour, with a response time of only a fraction of second. But this robot is also a guinea pig allowing researchers to test a software application designed to optimise energy efficiency in machine design. Thanks to this application, researchers have already reduced the robot’s energy consumption by 50%.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal