The FBI believes that jewellery shops in Jersey City’s “Little India” neighbourhood were at the heart of a vast credit card fraud ring, which stretched across several US states.
Several properties have been raided and 18 people have been charged so far.
Officials say participants in the scheme “stole” at least 200 million dollars (150 million euros).
US Attorney for the District of New Jersey Paul Fishman said of the perpetrators:
“They hid tens of thousands of dollars of cash in their homes. You will see in the complaint that 68,000 dollars (50,000 euros) in cash was seized from just one defendant’s house during an earlier search warrant, executed as part of this case. Money was hidden in a kitchen stove.
“And the complicit merchants, the jewellery store owners in Jersey City, used the proceeds to purchase millions of dollars worth of gold and gold jewellery and we’ll be seeking to forfeit whatever we can find,” Fisherman added.
Officials believe the fraud involved thousands of fake identities, lies to credit rating agencies and funds wired abroad.
Beginning in 2007, the alleged scam was based on falsely improving the credit scores of cardholders, allowing scammers to borrow high amounts of money – which they never repaid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 15:03 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan