06/02/13 15:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Tunisian politician was assassinated on Wednesday sparking protests across the country.
Opposition leader Chokri Belaid was shot in the head and chest outside his home in Tunis, the identity of the attacker is as yet unknown.
Tensions have been growing between Islamists and secularists, such as Belaid, who was a staunch opponent of the moderate Islamist-led government.
As news of the killing spread over a thousand protesters took to the streets outside the interior ministry in the capital calling for the fall of the government.
More still demonstrated in Sidi Bouzid the birthplace of the Arab Spring, which toppled veteran ruler Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in January 2011. Police fired tear gas there and in Tunis in response to the protests.
Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki, who was on a visit to the European Parliament, condemned the killing:
“This is a heinous murder of a political leader who I know well,” he said. “Who has been my friend for a long time, Chokri Belaid.
“This is a political assassination, knowing today, at this time, they knew I would be speaking to you. It is a threat, it is a letter, but it won’t be received, we refuse, we reject this letter, we reject the message and we will continue to expose the enemies of the revolution.”
The President has cut short his visit to France and cancelled a scheduled appearance at a summit in Egypt to return home.
Belaid was a leading member of the opposition Popular Front Party and a constant critic of the government accusing it of being a puppet of Qatar.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Wires > News
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey
- 17:20 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 17:17 CET Boko Haram claims responsibility for Kano suicide bomb – SITE
- 16:58 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 16:48 CET Nearly 1000 people denied entry to France since attacks – minister
- 16:47 CET Leader of German anti-immigrant party calls on Merkel to resign