06/02/13 15:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Tunisian politician was assassinated on Wednesday sparking protests across the country.
Opposition leader Chokri Belaid was shot in the head and chest outside his home in Tunis, the identity of the attacker is as yet unknown.
Tensions have been growing between Islamists and secularists, such as Belaid, who was a staunch opponent of the moderate Islamist-led government.
As news of the killing spread over a thousand protesters took to the streets outside the interior ministry in the capital calling for the fall of the government.
More still demonstrated in Sidi Bouzid the birthplace of the Arab Spring, which toppled veteran ruler Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in January 2011. Police fired tear gas there and in Tunis in response to the protests.
Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki, who was on a visit to the European Parliament, condemned the killing:
“This is a heinous murder of a political leader who I know well,” he said. “Who has been my friend for a long time, Chokri Belaid.
“This is a political assassination, knowing today, at this time, they knew I would be speaking to you. It is a threat, it is a letter, but it won’t be received, we refuse, we reject this letter, we reject the message and we will continue to expose the enemies of the revolution.”
The President has cut short his visit to France and cancelled a scheduled appearance at a summit in Egypt to return home.
Belaid was a leading member of the opposition Popular Front Party and a constant critic of the government accusing it of being a puppet of Qatar.
- 1Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 2‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 3Iraqi army enters Falluja as assault approaches decisive phase
- 4Rescuers publish image of drowned migrant baby
- 5Turkey: Muslim families should forget birth control says Erdogan
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Fire breaks out in Indian arms depot, several feared dead
- 07:24 CET Saudi says intercepts and destroys ballistic missile from Yemen
- 07:12 CET Good morning, North Korea! Defector preaches dangers of cult…
- 06:17 CET El Salvador gang truce mediator released from detention
- 05:36 CET Haiti commission recommends scrapping disputed election results
- 05:31 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 04:47 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 04:30 CET Top North Korean official visits China – Kyodo