The leader of one of Tunisia’s main opposition parties has been shot and killed outside his home.
Reports claim Chokri Belaïd was hit in the head and chest four times as he left his home in the capital Tunis for work.
Belaïd was a member of the left-leaning Democratic Patriots party, part of leftist Popular Front coalition.
The Popular Front is the main political opponent of the government dominated by the Islamist Ennahda party.
Over the weekend, Belaïd accused Ennhada hired ‘mercenaries’ of disrupting a Democratic Patriots meeting.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 01:52 CET Three Cuban migrants feared killed off Florida coast
- 01:48 CET Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting – researcher
- 00:49 CET Egypt to hold mid-January constitutional referendum -minister
- 00:46 CET Eight bodies, some dismembered, found on Mexican highway
- 00:31 CET Iran’s Zarif says nuclear deal dead if U.S. passes new sanctions
- 22:23 CET U.S. university drops claim Chinese dissident Chen was spied on
- 22:09 CET Exclusive – Russia signs deal to forgive $29 billion of Cuba’s…
- 21:19 CET Former rebel mayor of Colombia’s capital removed from post