The leader of one of Tunisia’s main opposition parties has been shot and killed outside his home.
Reports claim Chokri Belaïd was hit in the head and chest four times as he left his home in the capital Tunis for work.
Belaïd was a member of the left-leaning Democratic Patriots party, part of leftist Popular Front coalition.
The Popular Front is the main political opponent of the government dominated by the Islamist Ennahda party.
Over the weekend, Belaïd accused Ennhada hired ‘mercenaries’ of disrupting a Democratic Patriots meeting.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:23 CET World neglects displaced as 30,000 a day forced to flee – report
- 16:54 CET Russian report blames Kiev for downing of MH17 airliner-newspaper
- 16:51 CET Over 120 dead in more Yemen fighting, aid groups may stop work
- 16:40 CET Sudan says anti-air defences engaged target, deny attack
- 16:02 CET Assad says army to reinforce besieged troops in northwest Syria
- 16:01 CET Germanwings pilot rehearsed crash on outbound flight
- 15:30 CET Thousands flee homes ahead of expected battle near Afghan city
- 15:28 CET Indonesia says tourism not hit by campaign over death sentences