The leader of one of Tunisia’s main opposition parties has been shot and killed outside his home.
Reports claim Chokri Belaïd was hit in the head and chest four times as he left his home in the capital Tunis for work.
Belaïd was a member of the left-leaning Democratic Patriots party, part of leftist Popular Front coalition.
The Popular Front is the main political opponent of the government dominated by the Islamist Ennahda party.
Over the weekend, Belaïd accused Ennhada hired ‘mercenaries’ of disrupting a Democratic Patriots meeting.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 15:14 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…
- 14:25 CET Austria admits flaws in handling refugees, pledges action
- 14:22 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 14:18 CET Exclusive – Walkout at Taliban leadership meeting raises spectre…
- 13:56 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 13:53 CET Suicide bomber kills six, injures 11 in Nigeria market – NEMA