The leader of one of Tunisia’s main opposition parties has been shot and killed outside his home.
Reports claim Chokri Belaïd was hit in the head and chest four times as he left his home in the capital Tunis for work.
Belaïd was a member of the left-leaning Democratic Patriots party, part of leftist Popular Front coalition.
The Popular Front is the main political opponent of the government dominated by the Islamist Ennahda party.
Over the weekend, Belaïd accused Ennhada hired ‘mercenaries’ of disrupting a Democratic Patriots meeting.
Latest world news
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Voting underway across the UK on ‘Super Thursday’
Dilma’s impeachment moves one step closer as commission backs removal
Panama babies born with microcephaly linked to Zika
euronews visits frontline village in Syria
Wires > News
- 14:11 CET Israel says found second Hamas tunnel from Gaza since 2014 war
- 14:03 CET Burundi police say 450 people killed in political violence in past…
- 13:52 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting goes on elsewhere in Syria
- 13:39 CET Pakistan girl, 16, ‘burnt alive’ for helping couple to elope
- 13:37 CET Saudi security operation against Islamic State fighters in Mecca -…
- 13:20 CET People die, shooting rages at night, amid spluttering…
- 12:22 CET Israeli general assailed for Nazi comparison on Holocaust memorial…
- 12:11 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump