The leader of one of Tunisia’s main opposition parties has been shot and killed outside his home.
Reports claim Chokri Belaïd was hit in the head and chest four times as he left his home in the capital Tunis for work.
Belaïd was a member of the left-leaning Democratic Patriots party, part of leftist Popular Front coalition.
The Popular Front is the main political opponent of the government dominated by the Islamist Ennahda party.
Over the weekend, Belaïd accused Ennhada hired ‘mercenaries’ of disrupting a Democratic Patriots meeting.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe