A tsunami, triggered by a powerful earthquake of 8.0 magnitude, has killed at least five people in the Solomon Islands.
The epicentre of the quake was around 600 kilometres east of the Islands’ capital Honiara.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued alerts for the Solomons and other South Pacific nations including Australia and New Zealand.
Those warnings have now been cancelled for the outlying regions.
In Auckland, New Zealand, bathers on the beach were relaxed.
One beach-goer said: “I’ll stay but if I see anything pretty unusual here – like usually the tide goes out, the water just rushes out – and I’ll be out of here! You won’t even see my legs moving, they’ll be a blur!”
The Solomon Islands are in geologically active region known as the “Pacific Ring of Fire”. They were hit by a tsunami in 2007, in which at least 50 people were killed.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’