A tsunami, triggered by a powerful earthquake of 8.0 magnitude, has killed at least five people in the Solomon Islands.
The epicentre of the quake was around 600 kilometres east of the Islands’ capital Honiara.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued alerts for the Solomons and other South Pacific nations including Australia and New Zealand.
Those warnings have now been cancelled for the outlying regions.
In Auckland, New Zealand, bathers on the beach were relaxed.
One beach-goer said: “I’ll stay but if I see anything pretty unusual here – like usually the tide goes out, the water just rushes out – and I’ll be out of here! You won’t even see my legs moving, they’ll be a blur!”
The Solomon Islands are in geologically active region known as the “Pacific Ring of Fire”. They were hit by a tsunami in 2007, in which at least 50 people were killed.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters