US firm Liberty Global has said it is not going to get into bidding wars for content with Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB once it owns British cable TV group Virgin Media.
Liberty Global’s billionaire owner John Malone is buying Virgin – Britain’s second largest pay-TV provider – for 11.6 billion euros.
That pits him against old rival Murdoch, who’s BSkyB satellite group is the biggest in the UK.
Malone and Murdoch went head-to-head a decade ago over control of DirecTV, the largest US satellite TV broadcaster.
Liberty Global said it will share content and avoid battling with BSkyB over rights for expensive things like England’s Premier League football.
It also said it is not planning any major expansion of Virgin’s cable network.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Wires > Business
- 07:54 CET China’s Commerce Ministry defends devaluation, sees ‘limited‘…
- 04:06 CET To regulate or not to regulate? EU to launch study on Uber
- 01:42 CET Exclusive – Carlyle looks to sell Landmark Aviation for $1.7…
- 00:52 CET Fed says rate hike next month hinges on market volatility
- 22:43 CET Rebekah Brooks returning to News Corp as UK chief – FT
- 19:58 CET Carmakers scramble to adapt to slowing Chinese demand
- 19:29 CET Britain’s economic growth accelerates in second quarter, helped by…
- 19:21 CET Ashley Madison parent CEO quits after huge infidelity data hack