US firm Liberty Global has said it is not going to get into bidding wars for content with Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB once it owns British cable TV group Virgin Media.
Liberty Global’s billionaire owner John Malone is buying Virgin – Britain’s second largest pay-TV provider – for 11.6 billion euros.
That pits him against old rival Murdoch, who’s BSkyB satellite group is the biggest in the UK.
Malone and Murdoch went head-to-head a decade ago over control of DirecTV, the largest US satellite TV broadcaster.
Liberty Global said it will share content and avoid battling with BSkyB over rights for expensive things like England’s Premier League football.
It also said it is not planning any major expansion of Virgin’s cable network.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 08:27 CET Marston’s full-year profit drops 3.6 percent
- 08:25 CET China pain hits Remy Cointreau’s first-half profit
- 08:23 CET China money market funds grow as foreign firms’ ‘trapped cash‘…
- 08:22 CET Britain awards East Coast rail contract to Stagecoach-Virgin JV
- 08:11 CET Intesa targets private banking, asset management acquisitions -…
- 08:05 CET Lion Group set to buy ATR planes in nearly $1 billion deal – source
- 07:58 CET Wal-Mart cuts dozens of China executives to cut costs
- 07:47 CET Asia shares edge higher, oil tumbles to four-year low