US firm Liberty Global has said it is not going to get into bidding wars for content with Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB once it owns British cable TV group Virgin Media.
Liberty Global’s billionaire owner John Malone is buying Virgin – Britain’s second largest pay-TV provider – for 11.6 billion euros.
That pits him against old rival Murdoch, who’s BSkyB satellite group is the biggest in the UK.
Malone and Murdoch went head-to-head a decade ago over control of DirecTV, the largest US satellite TV broadcaster.
Liberty Global said it will share content and avoid battling with BSkyB over rights for expensive things like England’s Premier League football.
It also said it is not planning any major expansion of Virgin’s cable network.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Business
- 15:32 CET EDF’s Areva deal to shake up UK Hinkley Point ownership
- 14:53 CET Funds boost cash to highest in over five years as Greece, Fed…
- 14:41 CET UK investors slash stock bets as Greece worries dent risk appetite…
- 14:06 CET Hatfield Colliery closure speeds up UK exit from deep coal mining
- 14:04 CET Puma sells iconic tennis shoe brand Tretorn to ABG
- 14:00 CET BP’s chief economist sees U.S. shale weathering oil surplus
- 14:00 CET Amazon launches one-hour delivery service in London
- 13:46 CET OPEC oil output hits three-year high in June on Iraq – Reuters…