US firm Liberty Global has said it is not going to get into bidding wars for content with Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB once it owns British cable TV group Virgin Media.
Liberty Global’s billionaire owner John Malone is buying Virgin – Britain’s second largest pay-TV provider – for 11.6 billion euros.
That pits him against old rival Murdoch, who’s BSkyB satellite group is the biggest in the UK.
Malone and Murdoch went head-to-head a decade ago over control of DirecTV, the largest US satellite TV broadcaster.
Liberty Global said it will share content and avoid battling with BSkyB over rights for expensive things like England’s Premier League football.
It also said it is not planning any major expansion of Virgin’s cable network.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 05:45 CET EE in talks to take over dozens of Phones 4U stores
- 05:32 CET Trader Mercuria gets on UK regulator list ahead of key purchase
- 05:10 CET Siemens in agreed $7.6 billion deal to buy Dresser-Rand
- 04:45 CET Ultrasonic CEO says did not abscond with money – Sina
- 04:32 CET Asian shares slip, dollar pulls away from highs
- 04:23 CET Siemens in agreed $7.6 billion deal to buy Dresser-Rand
- 04:16 CET Alibaba issues additional shares to raise IPO total to $25 billion…
- 03:42 CET Siemens in agreed $7.6 billion deal to buy Dresser-Rand