US firm Liberty Global has said it is not going to get into bidding wars for content with Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB once it owns British cable TV group Virgin Media.
Liberty Global’s billionaire owner John Malone is buying Virgin – Britain’s second largest pay-TV provider – for 11.6 billion euros.
That pits him against old rival Murdoch, who’s BSkyB satellite group is the biggest in the UK.
Malone and Murdoch went head-to-head a decade ago over control of DirecTV, the largest US satellite TV broadcaster.
Liberty Global said it will share content and avoid battling with BSkyB over rights for expensive things like England’s Premier League football.
It also said it is not planning any major expansion of Virgin’s cable network.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
Wires > Business
- 07:22 CET Lafarge, Holcim finalise members of future executive panel
- 05:25 CET China April industrial profits reverse six-month falling trend
- 02:08 CET RBS mulls bid for UK government-owned mortgage portfolio – Sky News
- 00:46 CET Irish government backs sale of Aer Lingus to IAG
- 23:58 CET Charter’s $56 billion Time Warner Cable deal to face U.S. scrutiny
- 20:32 CET Holcim, Lafarge reach binding agreement with CRH on divestments
- 18:48 CET London Metal Exchange aims to boost liquidity, electronic trading
- 18:44 CET Greece and creditors play down fears of imminent default