Mahmoud Ahmedinejad has become the first Iranian president to visit Egypt since the Islamic Revolution of 1979.
He is in Cairo for a summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation which begins on Wednesday.
The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo but it has also highlighted deep theological and geopolitical differences.
“We have discussed some important key issues of the Islamic world and in the region,” Ahmedinejad told reporters. “Fortunately, for the sake of the world and reforming the region, we share common thoughts and similar ideas.”
But the Shi’ite Iranian was given a stiff rebuke by Egypt’s leading Sunni muslim scholar at the historica Al-Azhar mosque and university.
Grand Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb of al-Azhar said Iran should not seek to extend Shia law, and should respect Bahrain as a state.
He also said Sunnis living in Iran should be guaranteed full rights.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Blast rocks Donetsk in east Ukraine, no deaths reported
- 14:05 CET Nigeria declared Ebola-free after containing virus
- 13:53 CET Ukraine, Russia gas deal may be just enough to get through winter
- 13:47 CET Thai rights body to probe torture claims over tourist murders
- 12:59 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 12:54 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 12:46 CET Bus accident kills 20 in Bangladesh, leaves 30 injured
- 12:08 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit