An ‘austerity-driven’ EU budget will get the thumbs down from the European Parliament, MEPs told euronews on Wednesday.
Several members expressed concern that deep cuts to EU funding will put several public works projects at risk.
Parliament president Martin Schulz said: “My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that will be overstretched.
I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement.”
The budget can by blocked by MEPs who will vote on it once EU leaders reach a deal. But some aren’t worried if there is no agreement by Friday.
Alain Lamassoure, the centre-right French MEP and the chairman of the EP budget committee, said “we can wait a few months. If there’s no deal at all it is not a problem because we have a procedure which allows for annual budgets, 2014, 2015 etc. The framework for the last seven period will be maintained, adjusted for inflation.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron, supported by Germany and the Netherlands, is pushing for deeper cuts.
He says the EU spends too much on agriculture and administration costs.
Multiannual Financial Framework 07-13 / 14-20
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video