An ‘austerity-driven’ EU budget will get the thumbs down from the European Parliament, MEPs told euronews on Wednesday.
Several members expressed concern that deep cuts to EU funding will put several public works projects at risk.
Parliament president Martin Schulz said: “My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that will be overstretched.
I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement.”
The budget can by blocked by MEPs who will vote on it once EU leaders reach a deal. But some aren’t worried if there is no agreement by Friday.
Alain Lamassoure, the centre-right French MEP and the chairman of the EP budget committee, said “we can wait a few months. If there’s no deal at all it is not a problem because we have a procedure which allows for annual budgets, 2014, 2015 etc. The framework for the last seven period will be maintained, adjusted for inflation.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron, supported by Germany and the Netherlands, is pushing for deeper cuts.
He says the EU spends too much on agriculture and administration costs.
Multiannual Financial Framework 07-13 / 14-20
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]