An ‘austerity-driven’ EU budget will get the thumbs down from the European Parliament, MEPs told euronews on Wednesday.
Several members expressed concern that deep cuts to EU funding will put several public works projects at risk.
Parliament president Martin Schulz said: “My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that will be overstretched.
I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement.”
The budget can by blocked by MEPs who will vote on it once EU leaders reach a deal. But some aren’t worried if there is no agreement by Friday.
Alain Lamassoure, the centre-right French MEP and the chairman of the EP budget committee, said “we can wait a few months. If there’s no deal at all it is not a problem because we have a procedure which allows for annual budgets, 2014, 2015 etc. The framework for the last seven period will be maintained, adjusted for inflation.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron, supported by Germany and the Netherlands, is pushing for deeper cuts.
He says the EU spends too much on agriculture and administration costs.
Multiannual Financial Framework 07-13 / 14-20
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news