An ‘austerity-driven’ EU budget will get the thumbs down from the European Parliament, MEPs told euronews on Wednesday.
Several members expressed concern that deep cuts to EU funding will put several public works projects at risk.
Parliament president Martin Schulz said: “My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that will be overstretched.
I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement.”
The budget can by blocked by MEPs who will vote on it once EU leaders reach a deal. But some aren’t worried if there is no agreement by Friday.
Alain Lamassoure, the centre-right French MEP and the chairman of the EP budget committee, said “we can wait a few months. If there’s no deal at all it is not a problem because we have a procedure which allows for annual budgets, 2014, 2015 etc. The framework for the last seven period will be maintained, adjusted for inflation.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron, supported by Germany and the Netherlands, is pushing for deeper cuts.
He says the EU spends too much on agriculture and administration costs.
Multiannual Financial Framework 07-13 / 14-20
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter