An ‘austerity-driven’ EU budget will get the thumbs down from the European Parliament, MEPs told euronews on Wednesday.
Several members expressed concern that deep cuts to EU funding will put several public works projects at risk.
Parliament president Martin Schulz said: “My colleagues and I are not ready to accept that member states make the same mistakes on the European level that they have at home – that they agree a ‘deficit’ budget that will be overstretched.
I’m saying quite clearly that I won’t sign any such agreement.”
The budget can by blocked by MEPs who will vote on it once EU leaders reach a deal. But some aren’t worried if there is no agreement by Friday.
Alain Lamassoure, the centre-right French MEP and the chairman of the EP budget committee, said “we can wait a few months. If there’s no deal at all it is not a problem because we have a procedure which allows for annual budgets, 2014, 2015 etc. The framework for the last seven period will be maintained, adjusted for inflation.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron, supported by Germany and the Netherlands, is pushing for deeper cuts.
He says the EU spends too much on agriculture and administration costs.
Multiannual Financial Framework 07-13 / 14-20
- 1Would a Brexit create a weaker, more divided EU?
- 2Europe Weekly: EU turns up heat over migrant crisis
- 3Migrant crisis: EU ‘dream’ in jeopardy, says Avramopoulos
- 4Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
- 5NATO mission to help target people traffickers in Aegean Sea
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
latest europe news
Greece is given three months to tighten border controls
The 500 euro note – could its days be numbered?
NATO mission to help target people traffickers in Aegean Sea
Migrant crisis: EU ‘dream’ in jeopardy, says Avramopoulos
Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting