A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:52 CET Canadian soldier dead after hit by ‘radicalised’ driver
- 13:41 CET Sudan’s Bashir chosen by his ruling party as sole candidate for…
- 13:38 CET Slim majority of Swiss back severe new immigration limits – poll
- 13:35 CET Political risk slowing foreign investment in Greece – think tank
- 13:14 CET Iranian cleric’s death leaves gap in key power body
- 13:03 CET U.S., EU want U.N. to stress low cost of climate change fight -…
- 12:50 CET Poland preparing to appeal European Court ruling on CIA jails
- 12:15 CET Pakistan suspends licence of anti-government TV channel