06/02/13 12:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Wires > News
- 20:43 CET Brother of man killed in U.S. strike on Taliban chief files police…
- 20:04 CET Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage
- 19:39 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah dissolves parliament, names caretaker PM
- 19:09 CET U.N. concerned about rising political tensions in Cambodia
- 19:07 CET Peru’s Fujimori seen winning presidential election next week – poll
- 19:03 CET Five U.N. soldiers killed in central Mali attack
- 19:02 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle
- 16:46 CET Between 700-900 migrants may have died at sea this week – NGOs