A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Second violent tragedy to hit Australia in a week leaves country in shock
- 5Turkey issues arrest warrant against US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen
- 1Eight children stabbed to death in Cairns, Australia
- 2Putin tries to reassure over rouble worries, but also slams the West
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:16 CET Russia calls new sanctions on Crimea “collective punishment”
- 12:39 CET North Korea says did not hack Sony, wants joint probe with U.S.
- 11:36 CET North Korea proposes joint probe with the U.S. into Sony cyber…
- 11:28 CET Magnitude 5.9 earthquake hits Japan’s Honshu island – USGS
- 11:27 CET China offers $3 billion in aid and loans to neighbours – Xinhua
- 11:24 CET Putin urges Russia’s secret services to tackle “modern challenges”
- 10:10 CET Bomb blast in Bahraini Shi’ite village wounds three policemen
- 09:41 CET Italy’s Renzi wins confidence vote to pass budget in Senate