A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 5[Live] Ukraine: Yatseniuk accuses Putin of trying to sabotage presidential election
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 14:49 CET Taliban negotiator under house arrest in UAE, says Afghanistan
- 14:45 CET Death toll from Guinea Ebola outbreak rises to 122
- 14:13 CET Russia’s Putin fields question from U.S. fugitive Snowden
- 13:47 CET Divers struggle in search for Korean ferry survivors
- 13:35 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 13:31 CET Nigeria local authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still…
- 13:27 CET Reporters charged with defamation remanded on bail in Thailand
- 13:26 CET Cut off from the world, Gazans consumed by poverty