A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off
- 22:41 CET Wounded Egyptian soldier kidnapped and killed in Sinai – sources
- 22:34 CET Iran’s Yemen-bound aid ship docks in Djibouti, WFP to deliver aid…