A summit of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is underway in Cairo.
Heads of state and leaders from 57 Islamic countries, excluding Syria, are in the Egyptian capital for the two-day meeting.
Foreign ministers from Iran, Turkey and Egypt will hold a separate side meeting to discuss Syria.
In what could be a protest against Tehran’s support for the current regime in Syria, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had a shoe thrown at him as he visited a mosque in Cairo.
The man who threw the shoe is reported to have shouted the word “coward” before being tackled by security.
Ahmadinejad is on the first visit of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since the 1979 revolution. The trip is meant to underline a thaw in relations between Tehran and Cairo.
Ahmadinejad has said he would also like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 15:09 CET Greek court ruling on migrant shootings causes outrage
- 14:54 CET Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over Ebola
- 14:48 CET Stop-start Afghan vote audit gets green light, but troubles remain
- 14:32 CET Ukraine blocks premier’s resignation, backs laws
- 14:02 CET US says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline
- 13:26 CET China trial of Uighur scholar within weeks, imam reported killed
- 11:50 CET U.N. religion expert concerned over ‘interrupted’ Vietnam visit
- 11:48 CET Greece sends ships to Libya evacuate embassy, foreign nationals