The French have announced they will begin pulling their troops out of Mali in March, and that their forces will now focus on flushing out Islamist rebels in the north of the country.
The news was given by Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, just as the French Defence Minister was in Vannes seeing off French military instructors who will train the Malian army.
“We have a mission, and that is to expel, with the help of the Malian army, all terrorists and jihadists we find on Malian soil. Then our role is to step aside and let African and Malian forces take over, once we and the EU mission have trained them, and we want them to take that responsibility as soon as possible,” said Jean-Yves le Drian.
EU ministers meeting about Mali in Brussels were told that the Islamists had suffered “hundreds” of casualties at the hands of the French air force in the last two weeks, but that aid, reconstruction and good government would be needed to prevent the Islamist’s return. The delegates agreed on a “road map” to guide Mali out of its present crisis.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees