Japan’s stock exchange has closed at its highest level since September two thousand and eight.
By closing, the Nikkei was up more than three percent in its best performance since the beginning of the global financial crisis.
The strong performance comes off the back of news that the Bank of Japan’s governor will leave his job earlier than expected.
Masaaki Shirakawa has announced that he will stand down about three weeks before the end of his five-year term at the helm of the country’s central bank.
This clears the way for a new head whose approach will be more in line with the increase in quantitative easing advocated by Japan’s new prime minister Shinzo Abe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 15:03 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan