The Syria issue dominated the first sessions of a two-day summit of Islamic nations in Cairo.
Together the delegates of the 57-member organisation drafted a communique to urge the creation of a transitional government.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said: “We are for a political solution which avoids geographical and ethnic division in Syria, we are in favour of a rapid and peaceful transition of power, we should respond to the legitimate demands of the Syrian people.”
Another key issue was the Palestinian territories.
The summit participants decided to go ahead with the creation of a financial safety net to aid the territories which have been hit by Israeli sanctions following their upgrade to non-member observer status by the United Nations.
“At the Arab summit we have taken a decision to provide the Palestinian authority with a safety net of 100 million dollars monthly, until today we have not seen this implemented,” said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Ereqat.
Elsewhere Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hit out at leaders who make official visits to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying it only creates greater divisions among Palestinians.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police