The Syria issue dominated the first sessions of a two-day summit of Islamic nations in Cairo.
Together the delegates of the 57-member organisation drafted a communique to urge the creation of a transitional government.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said: “We are for a political solution which avoids geographical and ethnic division in Syria, we are in favour of a rapid and peaceful transition of power, we should respond to the legitimate demands of the Syrian people.”
Another key issue was the Palestinian territories.
The summit participants decided to go ahead with the creation of a financial safety net to aid the territories which have been hit by Israeli sanctions following their upgrade to non-member observer status by the United Nations.
“At the Arab summit we have taken a decision to provide the Palestinian authority with a safety net of 100 million dollars monthly, until today we have not seen this implemented,” said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Ereqat.
Elsewhere Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hit out at leaders who make official visits to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying it only creates greater divisions among Palestinians.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET Japan says no trade deal with U.S. as Obama prepares to depart
- 00:23 CET Obama administration may unveil new deportation policy in two…
- 23:35 CET U.S., Japan trade pact stalemate keeps partners waiting – Chile
- 23:05 CET Nigerian leaders unite against Boko Haram
- 23:02 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 21:58 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 21:57 CET U.S. seeks $700,000 in illegal proceeds traced to ex-South Korea…
- 21:29 CET Iran dismisses U.S. criticism of its election to U.N. NGO committee