The Syria issue dominated the first sessions of a two-day summit of Islamic nations in Cairo.
Together the delegates of the 57-member organisation drafted a communique to urge the creation of a transitional government.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said: “We are for a political solution which avoids geographical and ethnic division in Syria, we are in favour of a rapid and peaceful transition of power, we should respond to the legitimate demands of the Syrian people.”
Another key issue was the Palestinian territories.
The summit participants decided to go ahead with the creation of a financial safety net to aid the territories which have been hit by Israeli sanctions following their upgrade to non-member observer status by the United Nations.
“At the Arab summit we have taken a decision to provide the Palestinian authority with a safety net of 100 million dollars monthly, until today we have not seen this implemented,” said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Ereqat.
Elsewhere Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hit out at leaders who make official visits to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying it only creates greater divisions among Palestinians.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 21:22 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 21:10 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17
- 20:31 CET Dutch ‘no’ on Ukraine pact would force rethink, minister says
- 20:29 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February