The Syria issue dominated the first sessions of a two-day summit of Islamic nations in Cairo.
Together the delegates of the 57-member organisation drafted a communique to urge the creation of a transitional government.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said: “We are for a political solution which avoids geographical and ethnic division in Syria, we are in favour of a rapid and peaceful transition of power, we should respond to the legitimate demands of the Syrian people.”
Another key issue was the Palestinian territories.
The summit participants decided to go ahead with the creation of a financial safety net to aid the territories which have been hit by Israeli sanctions following their upgrade to non-member observer status by the United Nations.
“At the Arab summit we have taken a decision to provide the Palestinian authority with a safety net of 100 million dollars monthly, until today we have not seen this implemented,” said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Ereqat.
Elsewhere Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hit out at leaders who make official visits to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying it only creates greater divisions among Palestinians.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down