The Syria issue dominated the first sessions of a two-day summit of Islamic nations in Cairo.
Together the delegates of the 57-member organisation drafted a communique to urge the creation of a transitional government.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said: “We are for a political solution which avoids geographical and ethnic division in Syria, we are in favour of a rapid and peaceful transition of power, we should respond to the legitimate demands of the Syrian people.”
Another key issue was the Palestinian territories.
The summit participants decided to go ahead with the creation of a financial safety net to aid the territories which have been hit by Israeli sanctions following their upgrade to non-member observer status by the United Nations.
“At the Arab summit we have taken a decision to provide the Palestinian authority with a safety net of 100 million dollars monthly, until today we have not seen this implemented,” said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Ereqat.
Elsewhere Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hit out at leaders who make official visits to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying it only creates greater divisions among Palestinians.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker