Demonstrators in the South Korean capital Seoul protested against a possible plan for North Korea to carry out another nuclear test.
It is expected to be imminent, although the exact timing is unknown.
The United Nations Security Council and Washington have warned Pyongyang not to go ahead.
Neighbouring South Korea is in range of its artillery and missiles.
In Seoul, activist Bong Tae-Hong said North Korea must be stopped:
“North Korea’s planned nuclear test is not for defensive weapons, but for offensive weapons. That is why the international society condemns the country and put it under sanctions.
“If the North enforces the third nuclear test, we should work together to completely isolate the country,” Tae Hong continued.
North Korea successfully launched a long-range rocket in December in violation of UN resolutions.
Pyongyang stepped up its bellicose rhetoric on February 5, threatening to go further than testing – in response to what it called “hostile” UN sanctions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 4Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…