Demonstrators in the South Korean capital Seoul protested against a possible plan for North Korea to carry out another nuclear test.
It is expected to be imminent, although the exact timing is unknown.
The United Nations Security Council and Washington have warned Pyongyang not to go ahead.
Neighbouring South Korea is in range of its artillery and missiles.
In Seoul, activist Bong Tae-Hong said North Korea must be stopped:
“North Korea’s planned nuclear test is not for defensive weapons, but for offensive weapons. That is why the international society condemns the country and put it under sanctions.
“If the North enforces the third nuclear test, we should work together to completely isolate the country,” Tae Hong continued.
North Korea successfully launched a long-range rocket in December in violation of UN resolutions.
Pyongyang stepped up its bellicose rhetoric on February 5, threatening to go further than testing – in response to what it called “hostile” UN sanctions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 00:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 00:42 CET Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- 00:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 23:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 22:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 22:36 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 22:30 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 22:24 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed